Thread: How can people be so STUPID?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can people be so STUPID?!?

Okay read this first

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2008...sive_pyth.html

First off; the animal pictured is a BOA CONSTRICTOR NOT a Burmese Python!! I knew that immediately. Heck, my 4 year old would know that!!

Second, a snowball has a greater chance of surviving in hell for all eternity that that animal had of eating a 50lb dog or a small child.

Third, seriously, how big of a chicken does an adult man have to be to hide in his car from a snake that he knew was not venomous??

Fourth, what idiot starts firing off rounds at a snake on pavement?!?! Seriously, the cop was putting more people in danger doing that!!

Man, George Carlin had it right about the average guy on the street...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Heck, my 4 year old would know that!!
    I thought it was an earthworm.

Can boa constrictors really produce as much "waste" as a horse? That, my friends, is what I find amazing.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I can't believe they said it was a Burmese Python, even I knew that. And there is no way that can swallow up a 50lb dog, much less a child. >_>

Edit: Couldn't he just have call animal control instead of having to kill it?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the snake didnt need to be shot and killed..
    that wasnt necessarily the best solution to the problem..

but...

I also dont think the snake was completely harmless..

maybe it couldnt literally "eat a small child"..

but lets just say, for the sake of argument, that the snake was running around, there is a small child, 2 years old, playing in the sandbox..Mom is inside watching tv and peeks out the window only during commercials..couldnt the snake, in theory, strangle and kill a small human fairly quickly?

yeah, killing the snake may have been extreme, but the cop was also just doing his job..protecting the public.

to me, its a grey area..the cop may have gone to far, but he also wasnt totally wrong.
    he saw it as a "dangerous animal" that could technically harm or kill someone..and in theory, he was right.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/06/boy....ap/index.html

Still think a cop shooting at a snake is "protecting the public"??

Add to that the fact that if it had been an aggressive feral dog then there would have been 50 animal control officers out there trying to catch it and put it in the pound and get it rehabilitated and adopted. BUt someone sees a snake and the first reaction is to just start shooting. Sort of oxymoronic behavior.

I see what you are trying to get at Scott but the argument does not hold up to me. Plus, I have to say any parent who would leave their 2yo unattended outside is just begging for a visit from CPS. I have a 5 year old and I don't even leave her unattended. But that aside, a 7' boa would not approach a child anyways. Snakes are not malicious animals that go out and kill for no reason. A snake kills to eat and that is it (not like big cats that become man-eaters and will kill humans for no reason.) A snake knows what it can and can not eat and even a 7' boa will know dang well that it can not eat a 2 year old child so it won't go over and kill the kid just to wander off. It'll just slide on by the kid an go on its merry way.

Besides, I hate to break it to all the fine people in this country but we have native snakes that can exceed 6' in length (and just like the boa they are harmless). So if you want to start holding out that "big" snakes are dangerous then johnny get yer gun.

And, for the record, I own 7 snakes, 3 of which are pythons and I happily let my daughter handle all of them. As well as my large colubrid snake.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to me this is all down to people being flat out stupid. And hyping it in this idiotic and irrational manner is not news, it is the action of a tabloid.

It is reprehensible all around.
    Last edited by Pyro; 08-20-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    up here in the frozen north i have caught bullsnakes over 6 foot.......such a snake can kill and adult if your being stupid....had one lock my hands up tighter than any pair of handcuffs.....such a hold is defiantly strong enough to strangle me were i to put it on my shoulders and let it wrap around my neck.....personally my limit on handling large halfway tame snakes by myself is somewheres around the 10 to 12 foot mark.....if the critter is cranky no matter the size i have someone help me weither its 3 foot or much bigger just cause an extra pair of hands will generally mean less blood shed......short of a small, unattended infant the above boa that was shot was not a true danger to anyone, course if that was the case most any stray dog would be a greater danger..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    A snake kills to eat and that is it (not like big cats that become man-eaters and will kill humans for no reason.) A snake knows what it can and can not eat and even a 7' boa will know dang well that it can not eat a 2 year old child so it won't go over and kill the kid just to wander off. It'll just slide on by the kid an go on its merry way.

Besides, I hate to break it to all the fine people in this country but we have native snakes that can exceed 6' in length (and just like the boa they are harmless).
    I dont know..
    can it be truthfully said a boa is "harmless"?

and as for "knows what it can eat"..
    what was the snake thinking here?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,237057,00.html

that was 13-foot boa..killed a grown man.
    so why couldnt a boa half the size kill a person half the size?

I dont agree with the "harmless" label..

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast