What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probably my last photos of Jax

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
We are likely selling this little girl soon so I figured I'd pop a last few pics of her on here

Up periscope

P9240001_2.jpg

P9240002_2.jpg

P9240004_2.jpg

P9240005_2.jpg

And some head macros

P9240008_2.jpg

P9240003_2.jpg

P9240007_2.jpg

P9240006_2.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful snake.

I am going to reveal my ignorance about snake species and ask what kind it is. My best guess is some kind of python/constrictor, but that's about as much as I can tell.

carpets are beautiful snakes

carpets are beautiful snakes

Yes they are and it seems she is a rather aberrant looking one at that. Appearance of a Jag morph but not an actual Jag. And if it were beauty alone that determined us keeping her then there would not be an issue. But she is my wife's snake and my wife prefers much more mellow snakes and this little girl is just too hyper for her tastes so we are selling her off.

K,

She is a carpet python, Morelia spilota.

beautiful carpet python, im incredibly jealous, mine was a little more of a cream color than yellow, but we had to sell him after my brother moved. we had quite a few pythons and boas.....Sorry you have to sell her....i hope she gets a good home

She's a very beautiful snake :) Love the macros. Too bad you're going to sell her :(

She is gorgeous! Sorry you have to sell her. Will your wife be getting a new one?

She is gorgeous! Sorry you have to sell her. Will your wife be getting a new one?

A new snake, yes. A new carpet python, no.

She is going to pick up an albino ball. Much more mellow. She has a normal ball and really enjoys him and she really like the look of the albinos. Hope to pick one up at the coming reptile expo if someone there has one.

Cool, good luck in finding one. Can't wait to see pics of the new one.

What was wrong with the snake your selling?

He already said. It's too hyper for his wife :)

why can't you keep jax and just let your wife get another ball if she wants? is she the one that feeds her?

@ Evergreen,

Nothing is "wrong" with her. It is just that carpets are, by their nature, extremely active and energetic snakes. My wife wants to have a snake she can handle easily. I guess I was not clear when I explained to my wife that with regular "hands on" time she would be a handleable snake, which she is. However, a handleable carpet is still very active and mobile and wants to be free to move. A carpet requires constant attention and position change to keep good control of the animal (they also seem to have a very unnerving habit of occasionally staring straight into your eyes.) By contrast, a ball you can basically set in your lap and just ignore it. You can easily direct a ball to where you want it and it'll go there and stay there without much fuss.

@ Ant,

It is a matter of space, I do not have room for another big tank. Adult carpets and balls take at least a 55G tank or equivalent. A 55G is 120cm long. The only place in the house where I could put another tank that size would be in the crawlspace which is rather a cold area for a snake (I use it as my highland grow area after all.)

She does feed her snakes, unless I am just so into the vibe of feeding that I do it out of habit (which usually gets me yelled at LOL.)

(they also seem to have a very unnerving habit of occasionally staring straight into your eyes.)

Holy cow this would really freak me out. But are you saying it because you're not supposed to look into a snakes eyes because it'll strike at you or just because it freaks you out too?

Holy cow this would really freak me out. But are you saying it because you're not supposed to look into a snakes eyes because it'll strike at you

Looking into their eyes won't motivate them to strike, most snakes don't have great vision as it is so she probably is not even aware she is looking me in the eyes. I am not too concerned she will strike though there are some instances of this, Morelia, like many pythons, have heat sensitive pits (you can see them in the pics along her jaw line) and a flush of heat can trigger a feeding strike response.

or just because it freaks you out too?

It does not freak me out, it is just a little unnerving to have her staring right at me. You can see that there is something going on in her head... And she will almost always make a break straight for the top of my head after staring for a while which is also unnerving cause it could easily be mistaken for a strike if you did not know any better...

oh, I hope you find jax a nice home.

I see. Thanks for explaining that :)

Back