What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery of the missing frogs!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
We have a pond in our backyard. It used to have about 8 frogs living in it, a combination of Leopard and Bull frogs. We noticed that gradually over the last few months, they were dissapearing, one by one. Now there are only two. One Leopard and one Bull. We've never had an issue before where our frogs just picked up and left. They stay through the hot months and the cold months (whenever we get the cold months here in FL). Ok, so a few weeks ago, we started noticing poop on the rocks that surround the pond. This was dark brown/black poo that was about an inch long. Didn't look like cat poo or frog poo. Oh, before I forget, we do have a chain link fence around the part of the yard that the pond is in and it is 6 feet tall. Now about a week ago, Jeff and I were going out to the car and he yelled "There's an alligator running out of our yard!!!". I was like what?? I go after it and it stopped on the street and I got a good look at it. It was not an alligator, lol. It was a full grown Iguana! *It didn't have a tail though, something must have got at it because it only had a small one inch nub, but I could see the tail was already growing back*. So now, we're wondering if somehow the Iguana got over our fence (which has 8 large Citrus trees right next to it. Perfect for climbing) and went frog hunting? Do Iguana's eat frogs? I didn't think they did. I thought they ate veggies. But maybe he got desperate? I've seen lizard poo before, and usually it has the white pee stuff mixed in with it, but these poopies didn't. So does anybody think this Iguana may be the frog killer? We also have two large Goldfish and we don't want them to be eaten as well. Maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing and 6 out of the 8 frogs just decided to move on, but I doubt it. They have it good here, lol. Let me know what you guys think :-D

Weird. Maybe they did move on? Idk, but I wish you look on what happened :)

When Iguanas are young they eat insects then once they get bigger they eat more veggies I could be wrong they might eat frogs too I never raised this type of lizard they get too big to keep for me..

I have Leopard and Bull frogs, spring peepers and many types of frogs and toads well I'd see them in the pond and near the edge there's one that's under my dock also when me and my mom goes out in the field for walks I see Leopard frogs in the grass hoping around so maybe your frogs went somewhere I dunno. ???

Another thing have you seen any cranes, hyrens, or egret at your pond I know eghrets and hyrens eat fish, frogs, and a few other pond creatures I'm not sure on cranes though also any type of fishing bird might eat frogs or could be a snake I don't know just naming possible animals that might do that..

Just keep checking the pond and any area the frogs might hide out when I was a kid I'd find toads and geckoes under logs anyways I hope you find out about them.

I'm thinkin it might be a raccoon.

-Ben

Could be a snake. A snake would be able to go right through a chain link fence, and eat a frog, no problem at all.

We haven't seen an herons or egrets on our property. They stay by the lakes and don't come up to people's houses. The snakes we have here, in our yard anyway, are small black snakes and even though they can open their mouths pretty wide, I'm not sure they're big enough to eat these frogs. The frogs we have/had are huge. I thought maybe a raccoon, but since we haven't seen one, but we saw that huge Iguana, I thought it was the lizard instead. But just because I haven't seen the raccoon doesn't mean it wasn't here. These frogs have been here for over 5 years, I just don't see them leaving one day, but who knows. I miss them :-( They even got along with my dog, who now runs outside and looks for the frogs because she misses them, lol. I'm not kidding!

Well, if something is hungry enough I wouldn't put it past it...

Back