Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a new pet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leopard geckos are a good reptile if you dont have a lot of time and are one of the easiest reptiles to care for in my opinion. There is also a wealth of information on keeping them available both in traditional print sources and online, though online information can be a bit sketchy at times. I have had my gecko for 6 years and the necessary things take maybe 20min a week if you total them. Feeding them once a week and changing their water every few days is the only things you have to do regularly. Cleaning out the cage is very easy as they pick an area to use as their latrine speeding up the whole process. They dont require UV light just an under tank heater or a heat lamp as they are naturally nocturnal (though mine has become semi-diurnal often coming out during the day, especially if I am present in the room). A 10gal aquarium is adequate for a single adult gecko though a larger enclosure is needed if you want to keep groups of females, as males fight.

They become very tolerant of handling as they age though they are a bit jump when they are young. Mine loves to get out and explore the room. The nice thing is they seem to remain good natured about it even if you dont take them out for a month or two as has happened when I had other people watching my gecko while I was out of the country.

Thats the quick run through on them. If you have more questions you can PM me or post here and I imagine the others here who keep them can try to answer your questions.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leopard geckos are good, but if you're looking for something a little more exotic, you can also look into crested geckos. Very cool, and very easy. As far as inverts, it depends on what you like...common standbys work, like Rosehair Tarantulas and Emperor Scorpions. Both tolerate handling, are easy to keep, and their venoms are not considered dangerous (barring allergic reactions). If you'd like to avoid the venom, you can look at giant millipedes (if you can find them nowadays, since the USDA got strict about them) and vinegaroons (again, if you can find them...they're rather seasonal in availability).

Tons of other possibilities...do you have any particular likes/dislikes? There are a lot of suitable snakes, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corns or most any king snake are a good bet though I would avoid grey banded kings as they are temperamental feeders. If you can take something a little larger ball pythons and woma pythons make good pets. Big noodles, mellow disposition. Minimum space needed for them is something along the lines of a 41Q tub or a 55G tank. They'll eat small-medium rats as adults but can easily be worked onto freeze/thawed food (all of my snakes are on F/T.)

Another possibility would be Kenyan sand boas. I have never kept them but they have a big following in herp circles and are supposed to be uber easy. Just give a simple cage and enough substrate to burrow through.

Things I would avoid would be the mega snakes (Burms, Retics, BCI/BCC), highly active types (Morelia genus) and arboreal snakes.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a burmese python before the iguanas.... not too difficult to maintain, but extremely large. Mine was 11 feet... they are known to get twice this long! I ended up donating mine to a local reptile zoo because I ran out of space to house it properly.

My sister has a ball, and it's an awesome snake. Hers is a little large... 6 feet... the species usually gets no longer than 3-4 feet. It's the only reptile I have been around that actually seems to like being handled as opposed to simply tolerating it... IMO it's one of the best looking pythons unless you can find an albino of some sort. A ball is sometimes expensive, but sometimes pet stores will sell "royal pythons" really cheap, not realizing that they are baby ball pythons...

In any case, if you get a python or boa, remember it's a long term pet... my sister's ball is 22 years old (they can live to be 35+) and my burmese was 18 when I got rid of it...
    My Grow list

If you feel that you can't go on, And your will is sinking low,
    Just believe and you can't go wrong, In the light you will find the road. ~LZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
    I had a burmese python before the iguanas.... not too difficult to maintain, but extremely large.
    Yes, I will fully admit that they are easy but it is the size thing that I baulk at for a "beginner", better they have something that'll stay small, less likely to become an issue that way.

Mine was 11 feet... they are known to get twice this long! I ended up donating mine to a local reptile zoo because I ran out of space to house it properly.
    I can not tell you how glad I am to hear you took a responsible course of action. Too many twits just loose them... Idiots!!

My sister has a ball, and it's an awesome snake. Hers is a little large... 6 feet... the species usually gets no longer than 3-4 feet.
    Must be a female, they can get a little larger. But yeah, 3-4 feet is the norm.

It's the only reptile I have been around that actually seems to like being handled as opposed to simply tolerating it...
    They do seem to like it. Womas are the same way.

IMO it's one of the best looking pythons unless you can find an albino of some sort.
    Or you can go all out and get an albino ball and have the best of all worlds LOL

A ball is sometimes expensive, but sometimes pet stores will sell "royal pythons" really cheap, not realizing that they are baby ball pythons...
    I would avoid petshop balls, they tend to be CH or imports. Try for a CBB from a show, they tend to run $10-30 at those (as opposed to the $80-90 at Petsmart)

In any case, if you get a python or boa, remember it's a long term pet... my sister's ball is 22 years old (they can live to be 35+) and my burmese was 18 when I got rid of it...
    Most snakes are "long term" pets, my red rat is 17 years old for example. Balls are definitely on the higher end though, record was 49 years IIRC.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Another possibility would be Kenyan sand boas. I have never kept them but they have a big following in herp circles and are supposed to be uber easy. Just give a simple cage and enough substrate to burrow through.
    They may be easy to care for, but I thought I heard that Sand Boas where pretty mean.

Of coarse I vote for Leopard Geckos:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/elgecko1989/gecko_care.html

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    They may be easy to care for, but I thought I heard that Sand Boas where pretty mean.
    That may be the case, I have never handled them and, as I said, I have never kept them... Easy way to find out would be to talk to a breeder.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you go the colubrid route.....kingsnakes and corn snakes and such i recommend AGAINST getting a hatchling.....they are pretty small and easy to injure as well as being escape artists.....a yearling is bigger and easier to handle without fear of hurting it...especially for a first time snake owner.......hatchling corns are like a typical pencil in size only shorter......and only the head and mid point of the body is as wide as the pencil....actually this time of year is ideal for picking up yearlings as the breeders want to kick last years stock out to make room for newborns in the next few months.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast