Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a new pet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second this. To new reptile owners, I almost always recommend getting an animal that's at least a year or two old. That way, you know they're feeding, they're usually past the 'nippy stage' (assuming they've been handled), and are much more resilient to handling. This same rule can apply for smaller lizards, as well, like leopard geckos.

Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    if you go the colubrid route.....kingsnakes and corn snakes and such i recommend AGAINST getting a hatchling.....they are pretty small and easy to injure as well as being escape artists.....a yearling is bigger and easier to handle without fear of hurting it...especially for a first time snake owner.......hatchling corns are like a typical pencil in size only shorter......and only the head and mid point of the body is as wide as the pencil....actually this time of year is ideal for picking up yearlings as the breeders want to kick last years stock out to make room for newborns in the next few months.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, all these replies are great!

thanks for all the ideas, but going over talks with parents and rethinking the responsibility of these pets (as well as lack of funds, since i gotta pay for everything myself), as well as parents not feeling that im ready for another pet yet, i have decided to delay getting a pet.

i wouldnt want to have a pet without being able to properly care and maintain, it would just make me (as well as the pet) just feel terrible....

thanks for all the ideas, ill be keeping these in mind when the time for a new pet comes!

deckard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    i wouldnt want to have a pet without being able to properly care and maintain, it would just make me (as well as the pet) just feel terrible....
    That is a very responsible decision and I applaud you for it. Too many people impulse buy pets.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking more in the insect / arachnid direction, I would suggest the pink toed tarantula. (avicularia avicularia)

They are easy to take care of, generally good tempered, and dont need much room, however do your research first. But mine have turned out to be great pets.

Corns, kings and balls are good, and sand boas are good, but are a little grumpy when they are small but Ive read that they get better with age. Mine used to snap at me but is getting better.

Anyways, good luck!

EDIT: whoops, sorry dident see your last post there. Props on making a responsible decision, dosent happen enough
    http://www.amphibianark.org/
    Donate or sign the petition to help save amphibians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to have a ball python (royal python) beautiful docile snake, very calm and enjoys being handled, i thought it had nice color, sort of a khaki green and beige brown patching... they start real small; fits in the palm of a kids hand, and they sometimes grow large, but over a long period of time, so it`s real gradual and they don`t get out of hand... we used to bring it to school and freak out everyone, the teachers were ok with it cause we assured them that it was a safe animal. well that`s my opinion, have fun searching a new pet!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    wow, all these replies are great!

thanks for all the ideas, but going over talks with parents and rethinking the responsibility of these pets (as well as lack of funds, since i gotta pay for everything myself), as well as parents not feeling that im ready for another pet yet, i have decided to delay getting a pet.

thanks for all the ideas, ill be keeping these in mind when the time for a new pet comes!

deckard.
    I have two words for you: Sea Monkeys.
    Easy to maintain, inexpensive, and if you decide you don't have time for them, you can let the tank dry up and you'll have eggs to start from again later. It's always more fun to take care of swarms of things. And watching them swim is so relaxing...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have time to read the whole thread, but Leopard Geckos are my favs...days and cresteds are nice too but hard to care for. check out this link: http://www.geckoforums.net/
    Join the Florida Carnivorous Plant Society today!
    My tiny growlist and Big want list. Check out growlist for trade!

I Like Watching Things Grow... laxgoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dart Frogs!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast