Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a new pet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for a new pet!

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting a new pet (reptile or insect of sorts) but can't decide on one.
    Any ideas? Also, due to living circumstances, I would only be able to interact with the pet one week out of two (which a couple days during the off-week to feed and pass by).

thanks ahead,
    Deckard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my iguanas... fairly easy to care for, and great pets! The only problem with iguanas are you need a fairly large area to keep them as they can grow quite large. I have a female now who is just over 4 feet.

As far as the care... just keep the enclosure clean, trim the toenails occasionally, and make sure to get all the dead skin off when they shed and they're pretty happy. Give them fresh veggies with no chemicals on them, store bought iguana food, a UV lamp, and a heat rock and that's all they really need. Very interesting animals!
    My Grow list

If you feel that you can't go on, And your will is sinking low,
    Just believe and you can't go wrong, In the light you will find the road. ~LZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply

Do iguanas need frequent human interaction/enjoy human interaction? How big do their homes need to be in order for a full-grown iguana to be comfortable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I interact with mine daily... i have a friend who doesn;t pay his any attention other than regular care, and they both do fine. His does seem to be a bit more tempermental.

They are usually ok in about a 30-50 gallon terrarium for a few years. As they outgrow the terrarium, I move mine into an enclosure I made from chicken wire that is a cylinder with a diameter of 5 feet and is about 6.5 feet tall. I have the large female and a small male in the enclosure. It fits nicely into a corner and doesn't take up all that much room really. They do need to be let out a few days a week so that they can stretch their legs and move around some.

I have seen some very mean iguanas, but that's usually attributed to poor treatment from their owners. I don't believe they enjoy interaction the way a cat or dog would, but the more you interact with them, the friendlier they are (or the more they tolerate you). Once they get big, they can be a handful if they don't like you too much I don't think they form a relationship with their owner as much as they just get accustomed to being handled and tolerate it better.

There's nothing cooler than having some guests over and have a 4 foot lizard stroll into the room unexpected though
    My Grow list

If you feel that you can't go on, And your will is sinking low,
    Just believe and you can't go wrong, In the light you will find the road. ~LZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iguanas sound very interesting...
    Anyone else have any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a baby corn snake. Corn snakes are pretty easy to take care of. They only eat about once a week. I feed mine small frozen mice, which I let thaw out for a while first. Mine doesn't mind being held, but it's the picking up he doesn't really like. They grow to about four feet long. Babies need a tank of at least 10 gallons, and when they grow up need a bigger tank. Cleaning up after them is pretty easy too if you have the right kind of bedding material.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bearded dragon is good too, but very expensive : O you need lights, crickets, but they're fun. you can have them on yer sholder :I
    hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard Leopard Geckos are easy to care for. Some of the members on here have them, if they come on here they would be able to give you some good info.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast