What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katydids: Looking for

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Alright, this is an odd one. I am looking for anyone who might be able to supply katydids. THinking along the lines of feeders. Any one got any ideas??

Aren't katydids those annoying little insects that are kinda leaf shaped and jump on you when you walk though bushes and stuff?

It's unlikely to find them for sale in the US, especially as food items. They're breeding is slower, and more seasonal than crickets, and they take longer to reach full size as well. AND, they fly. I know locusts are used as feeders in Europe (I think) but due to USDA regulations, I don't think you'll see those available as feeders either. If you need something large, look into breeding your own larger species of roach. Most breed/grow quickly, and if you need something particularly large, look into the Madagascan Hissers, otherwise, Dubia roaches usually work well. Besides, once you get a breeding colony going, you may not have to buy feeders again!

Unless those things are very, very abundant they are EXTREMELY difficult to spot. And Katydids, don't they insert their eggs in woody twigs? I don't see any sort of regular supply happening even in areas where they breed year-round. But, I could be wrong. They are essentially like grasshoppers, yes?

It's unlikely to find them for sale in the US, especially as food items. They're breeding is slower, and more seasonal than crickets, and they take longer to reach full size as well. AND, they fly. I know locusts are used as feeders in Europe (I think) but due to USDA regulations, I don't think you'll see those available as feeders either. If you need something large, look into breeding your own larger species of roach. Most breed/grow quickly, and if you need something particularly large, look into the Madagascan Hissers, otherwise, Dubia roaches usually work well. Besides, once you get a breeding colony going, you may not have to buy feeders again!

i talked to Pyro via email about this, they are for some rather uncommon frogs with rather specialized diets that a friend of his has.....they have shown no interest in various roach species and crickets are the only thing so far they can get them to eat and katydids are more akin to what they eat in the wild.......

i talked to Pyro via email about this, they are for some rather uncommon frogs with rather specialized diets that a friend of his has.....they have shown no interest in various roach species and crickets are the only thing so far they can get them to eat and katydids are more akin to what they eat in the wild.......

It will be VERY hard to find this food item, especially this season, then. Your only option would be to wild-collect it, and now that I'm typing this, I should have looked to read where the interested party is located. I suppose if you're south...really south...you can find them yourself. Check lamps and such at night, or set up a trap with a black light and a white sheet if you're in a more rural area.

The only feeders you're going to commonly find for sale, at least what I can think of offhand, are various roaches, crickets, mealworms, waxworms, megaworms, silkworms, butterworms, horn worms, and a plethora of tiny stuff. Perhaps you could try moths? If it will accept those, you can get silk or horn worms, and allow them to change into moths.

Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions! What kind of frogs are they? Perhaps that will let me be able to give you better advice.

he will have to answer what type of frog when he gets to work in the morning, we jumped right in to discussing the katydids and i didnt even ask what frog species......

anyways in this circumstance all parties are quite familiar that finding katydids as a feeder via normal routes is unlikely which is why the question was posted here on the off chance that someone might know where some might be found....

Thanks Rattler for fielding questions for me while I was out :)

So, as stated, I was/am looking for a large alternative feeder. The frogs (Gastrotheca, Anotheca and Ecnomiohyla) will eat crix but they go through an ungodly amount daily. And they won't take any of the common roach feeders (though we are also looking for some of those bright green tropical roaches too.) Given katydids make up a large part of their native diet we figured it would be worth while to try getting some of them.

Oh, ok. I was thinking that they were refusing food altogether, with the exception of katydids. Luckily you're a bit further south than I am, so you may have to settle for crickets until you can collect katydids and locusts on your own when the weather warms up.

Back