Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Tarantula pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it burn/itch continually for those weeks? Is there some point where you're gonna have to start carrying an Epi pen if you're having these kind of reactions? I never had a problem with bee stings until the last time I got stung on the hand. After about ten minutes it was like I had gotten a midrange dose of Salvia so I've been careful not to get stung again.

Back when I was in school one of my teachers had a black tarantula that we played with every so often until one of the kids lost it and it took a week to find. My pal Andy accidentally "found it" and it's given him a lifelong phobia of spiders ever since! LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Does it burn/itch continually for those weeks? Is there some point where you're gonna have to start carrying an Epi pen if you're having these kind of reactions?
    On and off.. yeah. I notice it more when I'm in the shower with hot water on it. The hot makes it itch, but the scolding water soothes it at the same time. Anti-itch lotions work okay on it though..
    I don't know what an Epi pen is.. I'm sheltered.

And I went back through the entire "Tarantula Room" section of my website, and man were there a lot of mistakes. Mostly with the fonts, but I noticed a few things that did need to be corrected. So feel free to refresh your page when visiting the site again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm surprised at how beautiful they are! Especially the Pinktoe and the Cobalt. I never thought I'd ever say that about a spider!

lol and I'm totally right there with Nepenthes101. If I even see a picture of a hobo spider I break out in a cold sweat and start to hypventilate...but these guys are really amazing! Would be a good way to work on curing that arachnophobia, eh? hahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aicusi View Post
    Would be a good way to work on curing that arachnophobia, eh? hahaha
    actually, I've helped numerous people get over their arachnophobia. I've found the best way to do so is by letting the phobic person examine a molt (shed skin) prior to even being around a tarantula. This usually lowers their anxiety levels just enough to make them feel comfortable around an enclosed tarantula.

Here's a couple pics of what a large tarantula molt looks like after I've shaped it..

Goliath Birdeater molt

Goliath Birdeater molting off its old skin.. ~Normally the T will flip all the way over on it's back to do this, but this girl was just too darn big to make it all the way. The brown "dust" on the ground around her is her shed urticating hairs. They do this to keep pests and parasites away while molting, as they are very vulnerable during the process. The shed hairs are known as a "Bed Of Thorns".. ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even think of that, using the molt as a 'half-way there' step. =o

"Bed of thorns"? Haha...sounds pleasant!
    That's so interesting to see how she just slips right out of it in the second-to-last picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome photos!

An Epipen is a premeasured injector of adrenaline for people to carry incase they have a bad reaction to a bee sting, certain foods, etc. Anything you're mildly allergic to (like those hairs) can potentially turn into a large allergic reaction and send you into shock. Like with me getting stung the last time, the doc I mentioned it to said it could be a sign I'm becoming more allergic to bee stings as I get older cos I never had a reaction like that before and I'd been stung numerous times in my life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see.. I had tons of allergies as a kid. And now I'm only allergic to morphine.. which I wasn't allergic to when I was young. It's strange how these things happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWSOMENESS!! fantastic collection! and beautiful tarantulas! My little pink toe tarantula is nothing compared to your beauties!! Thanks for sharing! I hope to have a collection like yours when I'm older.. maybe a little less though, hah.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast