Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Tarantula pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    actually, I've helped numerous people get over their arachnophobia. I've found the best way to do so is by letting the phobic person examine a molt (shed skin) prior to even being around a tarantula. This usually lowers their anxiety levels just enough to make them feel comfortable around an enclosed tarantula.

Here's a couple pics of what a large tarantula molt looks like after I've shaped it..

Goliath Birdeater molt

Goliath Birdeater molting off its old skin.. ~Normally the T will flip all the way over on it's back to do this, but this girl was just too darn big to make it all the way. The brown "dust" on the ground around her is her shed urticating hairs. They do this to keep pests and parasites away while molting, as they are very vulnerable during the process. The shed hairs are known as a "Bed Of Thorns".. ~

ah the mighty Goliath, this must mean u also like giant centipedes and scorpions as well like me

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Tarantulas are my 2nd true love. Right next to skateboarding.. But in my old age I had to give it up. So, now that I'm retired I have nothing but time to work with the tarantulas.
    And to answer back on last night's chat box discussion.. I don't handle any tarantulas either. With the exception of the Grammostolia & Avicularia familys. They are gentle giants..

They are definately hotties! I could get you a sling for about $45 +shipping. Adults are hard to come by. Since nobody really wants to sell theirs.
    Yeah many animals have gotten that name. Maine Coon, Hyacinth Macaw, Eastern Indigo, Galapagos Tortoise, i'm a gentle giant freak
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantea View Post
    ah the mighty Goliath, this must mean u also like giant centipedes and scorpions as well like me [COLOR="green"]
    Actually.. the ol' lady won't allow me to get centipedes. And I only have one scorp that I got as a freebie. I'd trade it to you, but you don't have any CP's either huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! My mom actually called the Avicularia fasciculata, Haplopelma lividum, and Poecilotheria metallica pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to talk your mom into letting you get one. Six or eight big crickets over the course of a month ($1) is a pretty cheap pet!

After my last post in this thread I just had to get a Rosy Hair Tarantula at a small time pet shop for only $30. The deal included the cage, water bowl and cork hide. Petco has just the Rosy T for $18 you buy your own cage and stuff. I ended up buying a new bit larger cage anyway but now I have room for a future addition! A Rosy isn't one of the "showy" species (She's brown and gray but with a pink head/carapace) but she's gentle and calm and doesn't threaten or dart about like those more advanced Ts do. I'm not really ready to do battle each time I want to work in the terrarium! LOL

I do want a P. metallica pretty bad though myself. Maybe I can psych myself up to it after some intense martial arts training... I've seen those Asian Ts move in you tube videos... ZOOM! lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are only fast when they're tiny.. the bigger they get, the slower they are. Adults don't really move at all. See..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cool shot!

All the Pokie pics I seen online seem to show them flattened out like that, or even more stretched out, is that their normal resting pose?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's how they hide.. They go all streamline on the trees trying to blend in. I believe this is the pose your referring to..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are a little colorful to be trying to hide in plain sight. My mom said no, I can have any pet with more then six legs. lol

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast