What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Tarantula pics

Wow for those bucks I could start to really love these things too! :D

Can Tarantulas be kept in a humid jungle vivarium that gets rain (misting) several times a day or will that inhibit their new exoskeleton from curing properly?

Big time tarantula breeder, you are my type of crowd:-O

Tarantulas are my 2nd true love. Right next to skateboarding.. But in my old age I had to give it up. So, now that I'm retired I have nothing but time to work with the tarantulas.
And to answer back on last night's chat box discussion.. I don't handle any tarantulas either. With the exception of the Grammostolia & Avicularia familys. They are gentle giants..

I really like that Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ~ GreenBottle Blue Taran. How much do those go for? I'd like to get one of those one day, lol. Even though I have arachnophobia, LOL.

They are definately hotties! I could get you a sling for about $45 +shipping. Adults are hard to come by. Since nobody really wants to sell theirs.

I love your site Amazing stuff! How do you handle a spider that you can't handle or that flicks the hairs? Is there a tool you use?

I love your site Amazing stuff! How do you handle a spider that you can't handle or that flicks the hairs? Is there a tool you use?

Thank you! I actually don't handle many of my tarantulas. The only ones I do handle are the Avicularias really. And they don't flick urticating hairs per say.. This is the ONLY species that is so gentle and shy, that they press them into your skin. At first you think it's a sign of affection.. seeing your little girl press and rub her butt against you. But a few hours later, you realize she was just being a little :censor: !!
And if your wondering what the reaction to urticating hairs is like.. The best way to explain it is like adding poison ivy and fire. Except it doesn't spread from itching. And it will last a good 2-4 weeks. Here's a pic of what happened to me just from cleaning my Goliath Birdeater's tank. BUT, keep in mind.. I am SUPER sensitive to urticating hairs. And many others are not..

Urtication.jpg

Does it burn/itch continually for those weeks? Is there some point where you're gonna have to start carrying an Epi pen if you're having these kind of reactions? I never had a problem with bee stings until the last time I got stung on the hand. After about ten minutes it was like I had gotten a midrange dose of Salvia so I've been careful not to get stung again.

Back when I was in school one of my teachers had a black tarantula that we played with every so often until one of the kids lost it and it took a week to find. My pal Andy accidentally "found it" and it's given him a lifelong phobia of spiders ever since! LOL

Does it burn/itch continually for those weeks? Is there some point where you're gonna have to start carrying an Epi pen if you're having these kind of reactions?

On and off.. yeah. I notice it more when I'm in the shower with hot water on it. The hot makes it itch, but the scolding water soothes it at the same time. Anti-itch lotions work okay on it though..
I don't know what an Epi pen is.. I'm sheltered.

And I went back through the entire "Tarantula Room" section of my website, and man were there a lot of mistakes. Mostly with the fonts, but I noticed a few things that did need to be corrected. So feel free to refresh your page when visiting the site again.

Wow, I'm surprised at how beautiful they are! Especially the Pinktoe and the Cobalt. I never thought I'd ever say that about a spider!

lol and I'm totally right there with Nepenthes101. If I even see a picture of a hobo spider I break out in a cold sweat and start to hypventilate...but these guys are really amazing! Would be a good way to work on curing that arachnophobia, eh? hahaha :grin:

Would be a good way to work on curing that arachnophobia, eh? hahaha :grin:

actually, I've helped numerous people get over their arachnophobia. I've found the best way to do so is by letting the phobic person examine a molt (shed skin) prior to even being around a tarantula. This usually lowers their anxiety levels just enough to make them feel comfortable around an enclosed tarantula.

Here's a couple pics of what a large tarantula molt looks like after I've shaped it..

Goliath Birdeater molt

handsize3.jpg

100_0384.jpg

100_0381.jpg

100_0382.jpg

Goliath Birdeater molting off its old skin.. ~Normally the T will flip all the way over on it's back to do this, but this girl was just too darn big to make it all the way. The brown "dust" on the ground around her is her shed urticating hairs. They do this to keep pests and parasites away while molting, as they are very vulnerable during the process. The shed hairs are known as a "Bed Of Thorns".. ~

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6-1.jpg

I didn't even think of that, using the molt as a 'half-way there' step. =o

"Bed of thorns"? Haha...sounds pleasant!
That's so interesting to see how she just slips right out of it in the second-to-last picture.

Awesome photos!

An Epipen is a premeasured injector of adrenaline for people to carry incase they have a bad reaction to a bee sting, certain foods, etc. Anything you're mildly allergic to (like those hairs) can potentially turn into a large allergic reaction and send you into shock. Like with me getting stung the last time, the doc I mentioned it to said it could be a sign I'm becoming more allergic to bee stings as I get older cos I never had a reaction like that before and I'd been stung numerous times in my life.

I see.. I had tons of allergies as a kid. And now I'm only allergic to morphine.. which I wasn't allergic to when I was young. It's strange how these things happen.

AWSOMENESS!! fantastic collection! and beautiful tarantulas! My little pink toe tarantula is nothing compared to your beauties!! Thanks for sharing! I hope to have a collection like yours when I'm older.. maybe a little less though, hah.

actually, I've helped numerous people get over their arachnophobia. I've found the best way to do so is by letting the phobic person examine a molt (shed skin) prior to even being around a tarantula. This usually lowers their anxiety levels just enough to make them feel comfortable around an enclosed tarantula.

Here's a couple pics of what a large tarantula molt looks like after I've shaped it..

Goliath Birdeater molt

handsize3.jpg

100_0384.jpg

100_0381.jpg

100_0382.jpg

Goliath Birdeater molting off its old skin.. ~Normally the T will flip all the way over on it's back to do this, but this girl was just too darn big to make it all the way. The brown "dust" on the ground around her is her shed urticating hairs. They do this to keep pests and parasites away while molting, as they are very vulnerable during the process. The shed hairs are known as a "Bed Of Thorns".. ~

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6-1.jpg

ah the mighty Goliath, this must mean u also like giant centipedes and scorpions as well like me :-O

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Tarantulas are my 2nd true love. Right next to skateboarding.. But in my old age I had to give it up. So, now that I'm retired I have nothing but time to work with the tarantulas.
And to answer back on last night's chat box discussion.. I don't handle any tarantulas either. With the exception of the Grammostolia & Avicularia familys. They are gentle giants..

They are definately hotties! I could get you a sling for about $45 +shipping. Adults are hard to come by. Since nobody really wants to sell theirs.
Yeah many animals have gotten that name. Maine Coon, Hyacinth Macaw, Eastern Indigo, Galapagos Tortoise, i'm a gentle giant freak:banana2:

ah the mighty Goliath, this must mean u also like giant centipedes and scorpions as well like me :-O

Actually.. the ol' lady won't allow me to get centipedes. And I only have one scorp that I got as a freebie. I'd trade it to you, but you don't have any CP's either huh?

Cool! My mom actually called the Avicularia fasciculata, Haplopelma lividum, and Poecilotheria metallica pretty.

Try to talk your mom into letting you get one. Six or eight big crickets over the course of a month ($1) is a pretty cheap pet!

After my last post in this thread I just had to get a Rosy Hair Tarantula at a small time pet shop for only $30. The deal included the cage, water bowl and cork hide. Petco has just the Rosy T for $18 you buy your own cage and stuff. I ended up buying a new bit larger cage anyway but now I have room for a future addition! A Rosy isn't one of the "showy" species (She's brown and gray but with a pink head/carapace) but she's gentle and calm and doesn't threaten or dart about like those more advanced Ts do. I'm not really ready to do battle each time I want to work in the terrarium! LOL

I do want a P. metallica pretty bad though myself. Maybe I can psych myself up to it after some intense martial arts training... I've seen those Asian Ts move in you tube videos... ZOOM! lol

They are only fast when they're tiny.. the bigger they get, the slower they are. Adults don't really move at all. See..
regalis2-111.jpg

That's a cool shot!

All the Pokie pics I seen online seem to show them flattened out like that, or even more stretched out, is that their normal resting pose?

that's how they hide.. They go all streamline on the trees trying to blend in. I believe this is the pose your referring to..

1-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

l_e6237cc471ba2d09c8239d3b0f950b8e.jpg

2-6.jpg

They are a little colorful to be trying to hide in plain sight. My mom said no, I can have any pet with more then six legs. lol

Back