Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frogs and fertilizer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frogs and fertilizer?

I have always tossed around the idea of getting a pacman. It happens that I might have the materials to build a terrarium to replace my two ten-gallon tanks that have been home to my neps and orchids. I have also been envious of dart-frog setups and how lush they are.

So, I'm thinking of something like a 20 gal wide tank (think two ten gallons side by side.) Potted plants buried in substrate on top of something like some hydroton. Would this be suitable for a pacman frog? Would the small amounts of miracle gro in practically every bag of potting media I have access to mean death to a pacman frog sharing a terrarium?

Any tips for a burgeoning frog keeper?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fertilizer will kill the frog rather easily, amphibians are very sensitive.

Don't use it.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the answer I was expecting.

If I was able to locate some non-fertilized media, would everything else be suitable?

Anyone have any clues as to how much rinsing it would take to remove the fertilizer from a bag of Miracle-Gro brand orchid/cactus media? Is it possible to test for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom good luck with your pacman and no fertilizers please u know there are other cool exotic frogs out there like the some thing horned frog, it may be better if u take a little time for some research then go for the baddest u can find!!!!!
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about using the Miracle Grow at all, you won't be able to remove all the fertilizers from the soil. Frogs absorb water through the skin and if they're sitting on wet fertilizer laden soil... Get a package of Eco Earth/Bed A Beast (coir) or plain sphagnum peat from Home Depot/Lowes even Walmart sells it out back by the bags of manure and topsoil. If you're gonna spend $30 on a frog, spend $3 for a bale of good/safe peat. You can also grind up LFS and use that as a substrate, and it will come back to life in a humid and well lit vivarium.

The frogs poo will fertilize your plants in the vivarium. You can also put oak leaf mold (crushed oak leaves) into the viv soil and sprinkled ontop. As this all decays from daily misting it will leach a small amount nutes into the soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Forget about using the Miracle Grow at all, you won't be able to remove all the fertilizers from the soil. Frogs absorb water through the skin and if they're sitting on wet fertilizer laden soil... Get a package of Eco Earth/Bed A Beast (coir) or plain sphagnum peat from Home Depot/Lowes even Walmart sells it out back by the bags of manure and topsoil. If you're gonna spend $30 on a frog, spend $3 for a bale of good/safe peat. You can also grind up LFS and use that as a substrate, and it will come back to life in a humid and well lit vivarium.

The frogs poo will fertilize your plants in the vivarium. You can also put oak leaf mold (crushed oak leaves) into the viv soil and sprinkled ontop. As this all decays from daily misting it will leach a small amount nutes into the soil.
    the great mind of swords speaks to us commoners
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the substrate ideas Swords!

The coconut bedding would have been my first choice. The fertilizer comes into it because I was trying to have this terrarium serve double duty. For my baby orchid collection as well as having a cool pet. I have a hard time finding orchid media that isn't contaminated, probably because I haven't checked with any local nurseries either.

Looks like it'll be one or the other but not both. As far as $30 for a frog, I'm pretty sure I seen some baby albino pacmen for $15 at the last herp show

Miguel, it is my understanding that what is labeled as Pacman frogs in the pet trade is either one of two species of Horned frogs, or a hybrid of the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IronTom View Post
    Thanks for the substrate ideas Swords!

The coconut bedding would have been my first choice. The fertilizer comes into it because I was trying to have this terrarium serve double duty. For my baby orchid collection as well as having a cool pet. I have a hard time finding orchid media that isn't contaminated, probably because I haven't checked with any local nurseries either.

Looks like it'll be one or the other but not both. As far as $30 for a frog, I'm pretty sure I seen some baby albino pacmen for $15 at the last herp show

Miguel, it is my understanding that what is labeled as Pacman frogs in the pet trade is either one of two species of Horned frogs, or a hybrid of the two.
    I was thinking about something like this Tom http://reptilesmalaysia.com/images/M..._nasuta_03.jpg
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast