Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dart frogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dart frogs

Does anyone here have some poison dart frogs? I would LOVE to see some pis of them in a terrarium. I hope to get some someday...
    They're watching us. o.0

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Does anyone here have some poison dart frogs? I would LOVE to see some pis of them in a terrarium. I hope to get some someday...
    Just make sure not to get any ideas, they don't develop poison in captivity. People aren't entirely sure what's in their diet that causes it.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any dart frogs because I don't have any terrariums that are on average 80*F or less with the lights on. I too would love some. I've got a half dozen or more dart frog books and have been tempted many, many times to buy but I don't wanna kill them by having too warm of terrariums. You wouldn't think 5-7*F could possibly make the difference between life and death but supposedly it does.

If I ever get a home with a cool basement I'll have oodles of dart frogs!

If you just wanna look and read about em check this place out: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum
    All sorts of good photos and stuff to read!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link swords.
    They eat a lot of red ants in the wild. After a while, it adds up to make their poison. Someone very close to me almost got some, (the terrarium was AWSOME) but then they found how difficult it can be to breed the fruit flies...
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics for you Chomp Been a while since I morphed these guys out and they are no longer with me but it is the best I can do. Maybe Rattler will see this thread and ante in some of his Mantella pics.

Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    Just make sure not to get any ideas, they don't develop poison in captivity. People aren't entirely sure what's in their diet that causes it.
    They know exactly what makes them poison, it is the ants they eat in the wild. And, if you are savvy enough to raise ants, you can get them back up to poison in captivity.

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I don't have any dart frogs because I don't have any terrariums that are on average 80*F or less with the lights on. I too would love some. I've got a half dozen or more dart frog books and have been tempted many, many times to buy but I don't wanna kill them by having too warm of terrariums. You wouldn't think 5-7*F could possibly make the difference between life and death but supposedly it does.

If I ever get a home with a cool basement I'll have oodles of dart frogs!
    Swords... You can actually get away with a bit higher temps. In Atl my thermostat was set to 78F in the summer and I am certain that it got higher than that in their tanks and I never had an issue. You just have to be attentive and "know" your pets.

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    If you just wanna look and read about em check this place out: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum
    All sorts of good photos and stuff to read!
    Dendro is an okay site for info but I urge you to take anything said there with a (possibly large) grain of salt. There are a couple of very... "intolerant" is the only word I can think of... beliefs that are rampant there and they are quite antagonistic to anyone who dares question those beliefs even if the reason for the question is quite valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Someone very close to me almost got some, (the terrarium was AWSOME) but then they found how difficult it can be to breed the fruit flies...
    Yeah the flies are a pain, not so much the breeding but the containing and the over all maintenance. But there are other options as well.: springtails, bean beetles, wood lice...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cooool... I'm hoping to get a 38 gal terrarium going so that in the future I will be able to put some frogs in there!
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with everything Pyro said....as far as pics:

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

also have had Mantellas:

cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos guys! I want pairs of strawberry pumilos, leucs and the panama blue form of auratus. Not all in the same tank of course!

There are a couple of very... "intolerant" is the only word I can think of... beliefs that are rampant there and they are quite antagonistic to anyone who dares question those beliefs even if the reason for the question is quite valid.
    A lot of forums seem to be this way, one site I go to has banned/threatens to ban people even for simply broaching subjects & ideas on animal husbandry they don't agree with.

The average for me with lighting on each of the shelves is about 78-86*F depending upon the outside temps. That's with a large oscillating stand fan and 5000BTU window AC. If I get a new, higher power AC most likely I could probably get the room temps down to 75*F during lighting hours and be all set for darts and just move the lamps closer for the insects. I did it for the HL Neps so it can be done, I guess it's just working out the logistics of these new fangled T5 HO lights. T12s while dim in comparison were so much cooler in temp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast