What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big girl molts..

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
"Blondi" the Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa Blondi) measured in at 11.25" after this molt. About the size of a dinner plate.

handsize3.jpg

Unfortunately her meals have to be pretty big at that size.. like an adult feeder mouse for example.

blondieating.jpg

Out of curiousity, is feeding spiders similar to snakes in that they can accept pre-killed food, or must spiders have live? It doesn't especially make a difference to me, as it's the circle of life.

She's impressive though :p

Most impressive, I prefer my spiders native and outdoors, like the wolf spider living in a corner of my shed, but can understand why you like her.

Out of curiousity, is feeding spiders similar to snakes in that they can accept pre-killed food, or must spiders have live? It doesn't especially make a difference to me, as it's the circle of life.

She's impressive though :p

Even though tarantulas have 8 eyes, they are basically blind. They find their prey through vibrations. So, if it's not alive and moving.. they aren't going to be able to find it.

I don't understand the 'unfortunately' part. Any plans to move up to baby chicks?

Dude- that is a seriously impressive animal.:crazy:

I was wondering if you had a birdeater... That looks like a "hopper" sized mouse- that's crazy :0o:. I've heard of feeding pinkies occasionally but that's ridiculous. What sized tank is she in?

I'm actually a little creeped out. LOL.

Is she wild caught?

Last edited:
What sized tank is she in?

Is she wild caught?

It's a 55gal.. And I deal with ONLY captive bred tarantulas. Most of us in the hobby don't support wild caught dealings.

Back