What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prep and research for my first Tarantula

A. Versicolor (arboreal) Sling Enclosure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, this is my first attempt to create a small enclosure to hold a new Arboreal sling.

Please feel free to leave lots of feedback

1. Supplies (container is 4x4x10, and wood is split to create crevice)
IMG_3613.jpg

2. Backdrop (replaced lid with 32oz fabric lid, seen in background)
IMG_3619.jpg

3.Top View ( there is a 4" deep crevice under the leaf)
IMG_3625.jpg

4. Front view (water bowl is natural crystal-rock)
IMG_3638.jpg

Be gentle, I am a Tarantula noob, don't even own my first one yet. Still in the research stage and getting proper housing for the little guy

Looks just fine to me, how big will the sling be? I have my A. avicularia in a 12" x 6" x 6" container which is not setup as nice as yours! I am ashamed! LOL

They are about 3/4 - 1"... Just shipped out both of them today. They should arrive on Wednesday!

pS.. the enclosure looks great! Are you going to make it a communal setup or do you have 2 of them?

They are about 3/4 - 1"... Just shipped out both of them today. They should arrive on Wednesday!

pS.. the enclosure looks great! Are you going to make it a communal setup or do you have 2 of them?

Sweet :-D can't wait. soooo excited

Just finished the second enclosure, btw Swords mine are a little smaller than yours 10H x 4w x 4d.

IMG_3675.jpg

And both enclosures together...
IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

Funny thing is? I am thinking there is just enough room for a terrestrial enclosure (for a sling) right in-between those two enclosures

lol.. what kind of terrestrial do you have your eye on? I've only got 1 species here though.. but can easily get you whatever you want.

Oh geez, now to decide on a terrestrial tarantula. so many to choose from.

Well, lets see, I prefer an pretty and active one that is not going to hide the entire day.
But must meet certain requirements:
1. high heat 70-75f nights and 82-90f days
2. high humidity 80% + nights and 65% + days.

I think I have narrowed my choices down to:
1. Brazilian Black (Acanthoscurria geniculata)
2. Brazilian white knee (Acanthoscurria geniculata)
3. Brazilian salmon (Lasiodora parahybana)
4. Mexican red knee (Brachypelma smithi)

I considered the Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
and Brazilian black and white (Brazilopelma colloratvillosum)
but am unsure if my high heat and humidity would not be ideal for them.

I am open to more suggestions though ;)

Last edited:
You lost me.. you really need to get in the habit of using scientific names. Common names can get jumbled and confusing. Brazilian black could mean 3 different tarantulas to me.
I'd also recommend something old world (non-urticating) for a beginner T. You may regret getting a spear chucker this early on. L.parahybanas, brachypelmas, and GBB's are pretty flickity.. You may end up looking like this after trying to just feed them.
The end result of being caught in an urticating hair storm.. talk about itch and burn!!
Urtication.jpg

I have 3 Chilobrachy fimbriatus here.. They are about 3"-4" and showing AMAZING colors. SUPER heavy webbers. Non-flickers.. Great all around terrestrials.

http://massmorels.com/images/Tarantulas/C.fimbriatus/C.fimbriatus.html

But again, it's your T and your choice. Just want you to have an idea of what your getting yourself into with ground dwellings Ts. Like I said, I don't really keep terrestrials of any kind. Arboreals is where it's at!

A. Versicolor

Yay :)
Received the 2 little guys today, SOOOOOOOOOOOO ******* COOL

Cute little blue guys, I already released them into thier new enclosures and they are exploring their new homes.

they are app. 1/2" so cute, love them

I might have to start feeding with flightles fruit flies, I think small crickets might be to big, they are about the size of a small cricket.

I will post pictures tomorrow or Friday...

Good, glad they arrived okay. You can feed them 10day or pinhead crickets with no problems.

:pics:

Downsizing Enclosures

Hmmm, I decided to put the little guys in smaller enclosures till they get a little bigger, but I just couldn't bring myself to go as small as a pill bottle, sorry guys ;)

Hope this passes inspection :)
IMG_3704-1.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

Close Up
IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

Size comparison
IMG_3744-1.jpg

Home again
IMG_3759-1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like youve put alot of care starting off your tarantula collection, I hope they work well for you :)

Back