Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mites on ym ball pythons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mites on ym ball pythons

Hello everyone, I hope there are some experienced snake keepers here...

My two baby ball pythons have mites. I can see them clearly all over the snakes.

My mom and dad are helping me get rid of them, we ordered some mite pesticide called "mite off" from zoo med. So far we've covered the snake three times in this spray, and we can still see mites on the snakes. We also copletely cleaned the terarrium out and put the snakes into a bin, but still inside the terra.

So, basically what I'm asking is if anyone knows how to get rid of mites.

Thanks,

Devon Blomquist

EDIT:

okay, so I just read on google that my snakes have a severe mite infestation. Because when I hold them, I can see several mites on my hands after. So, can this be lethal to them? And will mites die after a while if they don't have a snake to feed on?

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been keeping for almost 10 years, and recently had to battle my first infestation.

Not going to lie, hers wasn't severe, and it's not going to be easy. And yes, severe infestations can be lethal, especially to babies.

Mite Off is pretty much useless. What you really need is Provent A Mite. It's expensive, but it's really the best thing, especially in this situation. While it can be used on the snakes as well, I used Reptile Relief, because P-A-M can cause severe problems if "overdosed", and with babies, the risk just isn't worth it.

First off, set up a quarantine tank. Clean it out thoroughly, let it dry, and lay down a single layer of white paper towels on the bottom of the tank. This is when you'd mist the tank with P-A-M, but until then, you just need to make do. Put a water bowl in the tank that's big enough for them to soak in.

Next, fill up a clean basin (or just scrub out your sink really well with a gentle soap), fill it with warm (not hot) water, and soak each snake one at a time. Gently rub the snake under water to help scrape off as many mites as possible, while allowing the snake to breathe. Gently clean out the fold under their jaw as well. Dry the snake, put it in the QT tank, and repeat with the other one.

If you're able to, just order PAM and RR now, and write "Return to Sender" on the box of Mite Off. I've only heard of few instances of Mite Off being successful, and even then, it was used in conjunction with PAM. Big problems cause for big guns, get it?

Anyway, after the bath, you'd want to spray the snake down with RR (after the bath and drying, before putting in the tank) Take care not to spray their face, but apply the solution tenderly with a Q-Tip.

And you just repeat this day after day, throwing out the paper towels as they get covered with mites, far away from the QT. You'll know you're done when you stop seeing mites on the paper towels (and on the snakes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mite treatment

I agree with the treatment.
    Look especially around the eyes and eye sockets. Due to the fact they are parasites the will actually drain the snakes dry.
    I have heard of olive oil being used on the snakes.
    Also make sure you are almost surgically clean and keep they away from everything else as they can be reinfected.

I have had good results with Sevin dust in the past.
    Good luck
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add, that to be safe, you throw out any media you have and buy fresh from a different source. You'll also want to treat their live-in enclosure with Provent-A-Mite, too.

Just sharing what I used, which was recommended to me by many keepers on another forum.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i kept snakes, i had an issue with mites on a couple of ball pythons that i had, what you should do (and what worked best for me) is buy the mite poison that is meant for snakes, its usually a white powder, i dont remember the brand, its been far too long.
    Remove all of the bedding in the snakes cage and trash it, lay newspaper in the cage, not shredded, just open it and lay it in, sprinkle the powder in the cage, and let the mite poison do its magic, it should only take a week if that to remove the mites, you want to stop them now before the mites get to the snakes eyes and really start to harm him/her...
    do not use bedding until the mites are gone, the powder does not work as well if they can get to places where there is no powder, newspaper eliminates that problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.petmountain.com/show_prod...tm_term=501369 I think that might be what Kris is talking about maybe? I still say a white substrate would be better so you can clearly identify any straggling mites.

Here, on the other hand, is Provent a Mite: http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59
    I have a mostly full can. I can give that to you for $12 (including shipping) I doubt I'll need it ever again as Sheba's never had a problem since switching to her current coconut fiber and she'll be off on an extended breeding loan soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can add this:

Make sure you quartantine the snake, and dump the old substrate from the original container. Wash well with soap and water, and use a bleach and water solution to disinfect the original container.

Place the snake in a quarantine container with paper towels while you're doing the treatments. Change and wash it out daily. Also, cheap flea collars for cats in the corner of the quarantine cage work well to keep mites away from the snake.

The problem with snake mites is they burrow under the scales and eyesockets during the treatments, making them hard to get rid of. Also keep in mind any eggs laid by the original mites may not be killed by the "flea dips" so keep in mind the snake will have to remain in quarantine for a few weeks. Keep the snake warm.

Don't use newspaper. The ink can irritate the snake's already inflamed skin. Paper towels work best, and you can see any mites that come off the snake easily. Don't simply put powder in with the snakes- this will cause breathing problems. Get a good mite remedy you mix with water and give them a bath per the instructions.

Make sure to keep the quarantine tank well away from any other tanks of herps or you're in a world of hurt!
    Good luck! Snake mites are a *****! Be vigilant though, and you'll get rid of them.

I lost my first prehensile tailed skink to snake mites from a rosy boa pair I picked up from a pet store. He was a beauty...
    Last edited by FlyedPiper; 06-29-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive never had respiratory problems from the powder, nor have i had irritations from ink in the paper in the hundreds of reptiles ive kept when dealing with any kind of pests, i spoke with my brother about this problem earlier today after i posted, and he said basically exactly what i said (and hes a well seasoned herpetologist)
    putting the powder in is not going to cause a problem as long as there isnt any strong air movement, and its not so thick as to be causing a mass build of up residue...i think thats all hogwash myth nonsense, the mite powder i used never once had any negative side effects on the animals we used it on, and again neither did the news paper, changing out the paper daily is a good thing to do, yes, and i dont see paper towels working any different than newspaper, but we always used it, or computer paper. whichever you decide.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

i<3carnivores - that is not the brand i was referring to, and i dont see that as an actual mite killer, but more of a preventative step...
    there are various sprays, powders, chemicals that are meant to be used on spot, to treat these issues...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast