What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anoles in Paludariums?

First official post here! :)

So, I'm building a 10G paludarium. When I say building, I mean I just finished creating my division of the tank.

Has anyone ever had experience with Anoles and water? Basically the front half of the palu will be water and the back half will be carnivorous plants (VFTS and possibly Pitcher Plants). I was thinking of putting 1-2 anoles in the tank and creating vines and stuff getting in and out of the water. There will be a few spots with tall rocks where they can hang on to just in case they fall.

I would like to know your ideas! Thanks :) Any other suggestions with reptiles/amphibians woudl be awesome!

While I don't know about the coexistence of these plants and anoles, and how the plants would like the soil, vfts and sarracenia require MASSES of light. You won't get away with a flourescent light or two, they prefer full sunlight or they'll die. Plus, they have a dormancy in the winter which you might not be able to supply. I'll wait on others advice, but if you really want carnivorous plants you'll need something tropical that doesn't require as much light, such as nepenthes.

I have extremely high light in my 10G tank. About 60 watts of CFLs and they're daylights ones. Someone please provide me more information please. :)

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's not extremely high light by any means.
~Joe

definitely not high enough light for flytraps or sarracenia, and as SIG said, they require a winter dormancy which is triggered by the naturally changing temperatures and light cycle, you wont be able to grow them in there for long, they'd likely die.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's not extremely high light by any means.
~Joe

In Planted Aquriums.. they are.. ??? But, this might be a different case.

it would be enough light for nepenthes, various sundews, or other non-full sun loving plants, i can pretty much guarantee if you put VFTs and Sarras in there with that currently lighting, they wouldnt last long

I agree get a nice small Nep species like N. belii or something then you won't have to worry about disturbing the lizard taking plants out and replanting.

I have an anole, she lived with Nep ampullaria for a long time, no problem other than her feeders probably getting trapped on occasion. I have a leaf shaped water bowl that suctions to the glass that she soaks in, so she indeed likes water, it only gets about 1" deep however. If you have twigs and rocks and plants coming out of the water portion there's no reason they should drown they will soak in the shallow portion so make plans for an increased bio load in the water area. Anoles are very nice but get a few females and one male, they are calmer in a communal setting. I only have one as I got her when she hatched out of a plant I bought and she was too small to get adults from the store to put with her so she's very skittish compared to the groups at the store who are far more laid back. She'll be 4 years old on labor day.

ooops. never realize you answered this thread.

Thanks for replying. i don't think there would really be a problem with anoles but a lot of people don't recommend it in this set-up so it kinda sucks. i did buy a big driftwood that has branches going in and out of the water and a water feature.

Back