Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blanding's Turtle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sucks dude me and my brother had to do that with our three sliders a couple months back. we both left my moms and its too much upkeep for her.

ps. in regards to the difficulty of maintaining an aquatic turtle...minimal. we had our tank in a south facing window with a homemade basking area that elevated above the hight of the tank so they could bask whenever they pleased. changed the water every 6 months, fed every day. the water changes were the biggest pains in the neck, they werent Neccesary but we're finicky about things like that.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javi- Red Eared Sliders, or Yellow-Bellies?

I released my little turtle-friend-rescue that I found in the road..when..earlier this week or something?
    I found a good spot for him away from the busy roads, in a pond that shouldn't ever dry out.
    And I handled it just fine.
    Until Dad said "What? You mean the little turtle that's been out there to say hi to you every morning for the past couple of months? That you've been taking care of? And now he's sitting all alone, by himself, in the dark, in a big strange place?"
    Then I cried my eyes out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @liz, sorry red eared sliders.

yea me and my brother stayed by the lake we released them into for an hour just making sure they left the edge and didnt try to walk into the road. they seemed to take a while and also didnt fear when we came up close to the water, in fact they came closer. i know they are not to be released down here, but these are all turtles that we FOUND down here lol. didnt buy them just saw them as babies and took them home. we tried contacting fish and wildlife...they sent us to a website where we pay 40 dollars per turtle to ship them to their habitat. we just returned them in the same spot we found them.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would've been three less turtles to impact the population though; still..rehoming/zoo/euthanasia might've been better options.
    But alas, what's done is done and it's not like you really added to the problem. Just made it equal to what it would've been had you not interfered.
    And on the bright side, you have a tank for CPs!

/thread hijack

Yay for saving native wildlife and releasing it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the waterfall in the tank.
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blanding's turtles have always been one of my favorites. It's rare to find a young one like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pretty little turtle.

I think you guys would like what my dad did back when he lived in New Mexico. Being artistically inclined and pro-wildlife, he gave the truckers that went out of their way to run over tortoises on the highway. He'd take a plank of wood, put a few 6" nails in it, and place a papier mache turtle on top of said board. People stopped swerving on the highway after a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dad.
    Is amazing.
    And my hero.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast