Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bufo Americanas habitat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice setup. You could let that substrate dry out a little, lol. Just moist like potting soil out of the bag would be fine. Then throw in a few plastic plants of your choice and you're all set . The reason I would recommend plastic plants is they're easy to disinfect in vinegar water or a weak bleach solution when you do a substrate change. Make sure they're very well rinsed if you use the bleach method. I just used white vinegar to clean my tanks when I kept frogs and rinsed the tank out. It's a natural disinfectant and won't hurt the toad if some is absorbed through the skin, and it disolves any mineral buildup on the glass. Speaking of which, I used dechlorinated water for my frogs. They absorb everything through their skin so tap water isn't great. Your CP water should work great and will cut down on mineral build-up on the side of the tank when you mist the substrate.

You also might want to think about "dusting" your crickets with a vitamin/mineral powder prior to feeding them, especially if you don't gut-load them. Also, the best food to feed these guys is nightcrawlers or leaf worms. Pure protein and 100% digestable. I've raised tons of horned, budgett's, and african bullfrogs on a diet of 75% worms, 25% crickets and mice, and the occasional wax or horned worm.
    Last edited by FlyedPiper; 08-24-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post
    Looks like a nice setup. You could let that substrate dry out a little, lol. Just moist like potting soil out of the bag would be fine. Then throw in a few plastic plants of your choice and you're all set . The reason I would recommend plastic plants is they're easy to disinfect in vinegar water or a weak bleach solution when you do a substrate change. Make sure they're very well rinsed if you use the bleach method. I just used white vinegar to clean my tanks when I kept frogs and rinsed the tank out. It's a natural disinfectant and won't hurt the toad if some is absorbed through the skin, and it disolves any mineral buildup on the glass. Speaking of which, I used dechlorinated water for my frogs. They absorb everything through their skin so tap water isn't great. Your CP water should work great and will cut down on mineral build-up on the side of the tank when you mist the substrate.

You also might want to think about "dusting" your crickets with a vitamin/mineral powder prior to feeding them, especially if you don't gut-load them. Also, the best food to feed these guys is nightcrawlers or leaf worms. Pure protein and 100% digestable. I've raised tons of horned, budgett's, and african bullfrogs on a diet of 75% worms, 25% crickets and mice, and the occasional wax or horned worm.
    Right now, she's(yes, it's a she) too small to eat a worm.
    Before we set it up, we leaned the tank to the right. the peat was in the left. A BUNCH of water came out of it. I would use live plants, I have one ready.
    Where do I get cricket dust?
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    Right now, she's(yes, it's a she) too small to eat a worm.
    Before we set it up, we leaned the tank to the right. the peat was in the left. A BUNCH of water came out of it. I would use live plants, I have one ready.
    Where do I get cricket dust?
    Live plants are fine, just be aware they can harbor bugs and bacteria that may cause you problems later if you have really bad luck.

Any pet store would have the vitamin dust. Any commercial cricket dust would be fine. Some are better than others, but I couldn't recommend a specific one to you... I've been out of the game too long. I do remember this one being OK:

http://www.coolpetstuff.com/Cricket-Dust-p/0121.htm

If the toad's big enough to eat crickets it's big enough to eat worms too. Go to a bait store and get red worms- they're tiny. Plus you can keep them in the fridge and have a food supply on hand for weeks. Next size up is leaf or trout worms, then baby nightcrawlers, then crawlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post
    Live plants are fine, just be aware they can harbor bugs and bacteria that may cause you problems later if you have really bad luck.

Any pet store would have the vitamin dust. Any commercial cricket dust would be fine. Some are better than others, but I couldn't recommend a specific one to you... I've been out of the game too long. I do remember this one being OK:

http://www.coolpetstuff.com/Cricket-Dust-p/0121.htm

If the toad's big enough to eat crickets it's big enough to eat worms too. Go to a bait store and get red worms- they're tiny. Plus you can keep them in the fridge and have a food supply on hand for weeks. Next size up is leaf or trout worms, then baby nightcrawlers, then crawlers.
    Hmm... that's good to know.
    Thanks for the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have wet peat in there, why not throw in some live sphagnum? You can get a colony of live moss growing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Griffin View Post
    If you have wet peat in there, why not throw in some live sphagnum? You can get a colony of live moss growing.
    Ehh, I don't know. As of Right now, I don't have live spaghnum, Just LFS(I know it does contain spores though) and I like it how it is right now(well, how it's going to be when I add a live plant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123