Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsizing Chameleon Cage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downsizing Chameleon Cage

I have a male veiled chameleon who is currently living in a huge cage I built him that is 4ft x 2.5ft x 5ft (L x W x H). I didn't do a very nice finish on the outside, so it looks a little sloppy, and the door is the whole front panel so it takes up a lot of space when it opens. I have decided to downsize to something smaller. I was thinking of getting the new Exo Terra 36" tall terrarium. It's 36"x18"x36" (L X W x H). Would this be large enough and would it be a good terrarium for my chameleon? I did have him in an 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra terrarium when he was smaller, and that worked very well. Right now he's about 12" long with his tail straight out. Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm of the opinion that critters should always be given more space and not less but it's up to you and how the animal reacts to it's new home after being moved.

Is the new Exo terra a screened cage? I've read that the only Chameleons who like glass cages and higher humidity are the Pygmy Chameleons (Rhampholeon brevicaudatus).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it is best to give him more space than less, but I just need to downsize a bit. The Exo terra is glass with a screen top and a ventilation strip in front. The humidity doesn't get very high unless you want it to (that's how it was in my other terrarium).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, I always forget the Exos are screen topped. Screen topped tanks don't hold in humidity at all for me either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is your veiled? Mine is about twice that size with it's tail out. I have mine in a huge cage that I custom built. These cages are great for chams but do fall apart after a few years. I have used three different sizes listed here: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...-explorariums/
    The smaller ones are good outdoor cages to give your lizard so great sun.

Chams tend to be roaming animals. Mine will go all over his huge cage. So I tend to go as large as possible. Your lizard will love you for it.

I have two chams currently. One Veiled and one Panther. Here is the link to the thread talking about the custom cage. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124036
    I built a second one right after this one was complete.

If you have any questions let me know, I have been caring for chams for almost ten years now. Here is a link to more pics of my lizards. There is even one with the all screen cage setup. http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/Frilleon/Lizards/
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. My cham is a few years old, just by my guess, I don't know exactly how old he is because I got him at Petsmart, and they don't get that info from their suppliers. I don't plan on getting any more chams from them, I'll probably order from FLChams or somewhere similar online. I have looked into Reptariums in the past, and am considering getting one as his main cage, and another small one for basking because he loves being out in the hot sun out here in Utah, during summer. I do have a few questions, though: Can you cut a hole for like misting nozzles and drip systems in the screen without having to apply some type of glue or something to keep it from fraying, or will it not fray? Also, can you place the light fixtures directly on the screen, so that the bulb is slightly suspended above the screen, or do they need to be farther away form the screen?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never owned my own.. but I worked in a reptile shop for some years. We had an adult male a smidge larger than yours that lived in an unconfined canopy along the ceiling of the shop. He had a dish up there we filled daily with food, and another with water. It was so much easier to keep up than trying to confine him to one small area. Not sure if the idea helps.. but maybe it's something to consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann_A View Post
    Thanks for the info. My cham is a few years old, just by my guess, I don't know exactly how old he is because I got him at Petsmart, and they don't get that info from their suppliers. I don't plan on getting any more chams from them, I'll probably order from FLChams or somewhere similar online. I have looked into Reptariums in the past, and am considering getting one as his main cage, and another small one for basking because he loves being out in the hot sun out here in Utah, during summer. I do have a few questions, though: Can you cut a hole for like misting nozzles and drip systems in the screen without having to apply some type of glue or something to keep it from fraying, or will it not fray? Also, can you place the light fixtures directly on the screen, so that the bulb is slightly suspended above the screen, or do they need to be farther away form the screen?
    To answer all your questions......no. You hit the nail on the head. I had all those problems with the cage. The hole I cut for the mister got bigger and bigger and the lights (which you have to suspend about 6" away from screen) dried out the screen to the point he actually pushed his way though it. I came home and found him on the cage. I also melted one of the plastic frame pieces with the lights too close. Like I said though it lasted a good 2-3 years before I decided to build my own. I still have the small ones for outside use. These were all the deciding factors to build my own. I could build it the exact size and shape I wanted. I was able to integrate my misting system (Pro Mist system) and all the lighting in the cage by my design. I found it the best option that I had. I spent just about as much as I did building the cages as I did buying the Reptariums. If your looking for something specific your better off building it, and with chams the bigger the better IMHO!

Just an FYI the link with the reptariums is a great place to get animals too. I have gotten a panther cham from them and was very happy. Plus I have visited the store and they care for their animals well. Anothor good source that I have been to and bought other reptiles from is East Bay Vivarium.

Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I've never owned my own.. but I worked in a reptile shop for some years. We had an adult male a smidge larger than yours that lived in an unconfined canopy along the ceiling of the shop. He had a dish up there we filled daily with food, and another with water. It was so much easier to keep up than trying to confine him to one small area. Not sure if the idea helps.. but maybe it's something to consider.
    I have wanted to do this too. At the East Bay Vivarium They have branches that hang from the ceiling. They let their chams wander them during business hours. They don't keep them there though. They go in cages at the end of the day.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast