User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to start? Poison darts/aquarium...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azureus is a morph of dendrobates tinctorius, which is known for only taking small prey items. I've heard story's of baby roaches being fed and then one or two getting away and 5 months later you find a adult roach in the terrarium. Not something I'd want.

Raising ff's is the easiest food item I've ever raised. (mealworms, kingworms, crickets, roaches). Only requires 5 minutes of time once a week or so, and after 4 weeks you throw a culture out. They really aren't hard.

If you do want to avoid ff's pinhead crickets are an alternative but really ff should be the main meal. If you still won't use ff take a look at the phylobates. They are known for taking larger items, especially the terribilis being that they are so big. Phylobates vittatus will also take large items for it's size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on sizes of food, i concur with Drew.....

on the ease of fruit flies, he is right it is simple and not time consuming if everything goes right.....however if your like me and seem to have some sort of fungus spore floating around that destroys the food used to raise fruit flies on faster than the flies can produce than you run into one hell of a problem.....

so as i said in my first post the food is the major pain with darts, the closer you are to other froggers the easier it is....cultures will crash and you will sometimes run into problems like my issue with fungus contamination.....other froggers close by and cash on hand to buy cultures off them go a long way to piece of mind.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha yes, When i had my leopard geckos i had to raise crickets and meal worms :P Which weren't all that fun. haha but my geckos when i did feed them a big cricket ever now and then both got ahold of one cricket and ripped it apart...pretty gruesome haha

i've also raised microworms too which were probably the easiest.

I think i can handle it reading on the PDFF that you also have live cultures of food inside your vivarium...springtails and isopods. They told me i should seed it 2 weeks before i add the frogs and those will become another food source for them. I was wondering if they would overpopulate but i planned to have 3-4 d. azureus in a 30 gallon tank, and i've heard they eat readily.

I'm also interested in the larger species at least to start with although i do like the coloring on your thumbnail frog

Roaches are foreign to me but they sound like an option, if i do decide to raise and feed them to my frogs i might pick them out a couple at a time to make sure they get eaten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you can throw in cultures in the tanks.....i always put isopods and springtails in my tanks.....however its an on going thing in most tanks cause the frogs are actually really good hunters....it helps and is a good thing but several azurus in a 30 will decimate the population in short order.....also be aware your not really supposed to keep groups of tinc group dendros.....a pair is ok but sometimes you can keep 3 adults in a tank but alot of the time they will fight or intimidate one until it dies.....
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As rattler said tinctorius (azureus) do better in male/female pairs. If you want to keep 3 or 4 take a look at lecuomelas and also terribilis. 4 Leucs would be ok in a 30g and 3 maybe 4 terribs would be good for a 30. They are better group frogs.

You could also look at a group of 5-6 mantellas for a tank that size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did read somewhere that d. azureus are on the friendlier side and can be housed together in slightly larger groups. I'm going to heavily plant the tank, and a few people did say i could happily house 3-4 azureus in the 30 gallon, they just told me to watch for signs of aggression.

General Care:
    Temperatures of 70-80 F during the day with drops as low as 65 F at night are recommended.

Being larger frogs, Azureus and Tinctorius require a good amount of floor space. Pairs of frogs should not be kept in tanks smaller than 10g, with larger tanks preferable (20, 20L). Small groups of frogs consisting of 2-3 males to a single female are ok. But multiple females are discouraged as female-female aggression, perhaps the most intense of all dendrobatid species, is a serious problem. Housing two sexually mature females can lead to the death of the non-dominant animal. This may not be the case in individual situations without the presence of a male, but is not guaranteed. Female aggression is much stronger than male-male or male-female aggression. Care should also be taken when introducing (or reintroducing) mature animals into established groups, when aggression can be greater.

Individuals can generally be sexed based on the size of the frog (females generally display greater length and girth) and the size of the forelimb toepads (the forelimb toepads of males are usually at least 2 times larger than the forelimb toepads of a female). Please note however, that these are generalizations, and may not always be the case with every frog. Froglets or sub-adults may be difficult to sex using these criteria as the differences may not always be present at younger ages. It has also been noted that some morphs of tinctorius do not clearly show these differences. Males do also call, which has been described as a soft buzz, but this may or may not be audible outside the tank.
    ~dedroboard caresheet

Haha knowing me i'll be the one who get's the 4 little happy azureus(8m), and 3 will turn out to be female. I was actually surprised to hear that the female of the species is more aggressive than the males, usually it's the opposite. so the ratio is 1:1, 2:1, or even 3:1 m:f if planted well and enough tank space is provided.

hmmm well i guess if i start a population in the tanks it will help a little, isopods look easy to care for. although i think they only eat the younger softshelled ones. I haven't looked to much into raising springtails yet. Here are the food sources i'm looking into know about...

Springtails, young softshelled isopods, fruit flies, newly hatched cockroaches, pinhead crickets, mini mealworms... Additionally i want to say i read somewhere spider egg sacks, even mantid(sorry) egg sacks can be dropped in the tank and when they hatch it's an instant frog feast. I'm not sure if i like the idea of harvesting eggs from outside or from a house spider yet though.

Maybe i'll chose one of those species for the 3o and raise a pair of azureus in the 20 long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just keep in mind you need to have a backup plan with a group of azureus.....should aggression happen you need to have a tank availible to move the bullied frog(s) to immediately.....just cause it can work doesnt mean it always works....
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup, i have fishtanks everywhere haha, 55, 30, 20, 10s will do, keep everyone posted when i get a viv together

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123