What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frog-sitting

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Meet Frogface
IMGP2829copy.jpg

IMGP2817.jpg

or is it frog-napping. If ya wanna see da froggy again leave a dozen triple choco chip cookies in a brown paper bag under da bandstand at midnight Jan 2nd...:-D

Last edited:
Hahaaha.

I friggin' love frogs. I want to set up a hugiganormous tank with tons of frogs. Soon as I hit the lotto. ^.~

hyptno-toad

hehehehehe, I know someone who was soooooooooo appreciative of you helping out in this matter,
you big hearted softy you

;)

IMGP2850.jpg

He looks comfortably 'chilled out'. :)

xmasCreche.gif

Very cool! Sure doesn't look like he's starving :-))

Is 'he' a Hyla regilla (Pacific Treefrog)? Doesn't seem to fit but also doesn't fit anything else and they're apparently very variable... ???

Very cool! Sure doesn't look like he's starving :-))

Is 'he' a Hyla regilla (Pacific Treefrog)? Doesn't seem to fit but also doesn't fit anything else and they're apparently very variable... ???

noooo

Haha yeah there's no way that is guy is a Pacific Treefrog. My guess would be some tropical Asian frog, Northern Australia or maybe from central Africa. (That narrows things down quite a bit. :lol:)

Frogface has been dubbed a "she" ;)
And the story goes that she was on a plant from Home Depot that :hail: King Zuzunums brought home and decided to keep because there wasn't really anywhere to put teh froggie...might've been cold out, too. So it's either a California frog, orrrr something that got imported into Home Depot. :lol:

:hail: Warren!

Thez said the people at the pet store where she bought the terrarium thought it was a No. Cal tree frog (Pacific?). Doesn't really look like the photos I've seen. Doesn't quite look like a California Tree Frog either, close but not close.

I was hoping one of our froggy people like Pyro could come up with a better ID.

Maybe a Cuban Tree Frog:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cuba...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBIQ_AUoAQ&biw=1286&bih=814

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/osteopilus_septentrionalis.php

• Size of the adults (up to 5 inches in body length, much larger than native Florida treefrogs);
  • Enormous toe pads (larger than toepads of native treefrogs in Florida);
  • Bumpy skin on the back, like skin of a toad; and
  • Skin on top of head is fused to skull (see test described below).

A good test to determine if a frog is a Cuban treefrog is to grasp the frog firmly, but gently, and try to move the skin around on the top of the frog's head with your fingertip. The skin on the head of a Cuban treefrog is fused to the top of the skull and won't move.

I guess I can give the froggy a nuggie and see :-D

NaN,
Cuban seem plausible. More so can see them moving with plants across country. Coqui and greenhouse frogs are doing similar things here in Hawaii...

The Florida website says the Cuban Tree Frog is established on Oahu.

Yep apparently on windward side. Maybe manawili trail area....

taste sorta like catfish with texture sorta like chicken

hehehehehe

It looks like Hyla versicolor to me, the gray tree frog. How big is it?

Cheers,

Joe

Looks like a good match too. Just estimating from rostrum to caudum 2.5-3 inches. Guess I'll have to try the skin fusion test.

I've dealt with the Cuban treefrogs here, and they're huge...but usually more...elongated and...I don't wanna say athletic, but uh, way more trim. If frogface is a cuban, she'd have to be a male, cause it's the females that get big enough to eat baby birds o.o And a good way to determine if "she" is a male Cuban, is if the thumbs are black.

The gray tree frog definitely looks to be a better match.

Back