User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 29

Thread: My Poison Dart Frogs

  1. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I have this strange feeling that a 10" pitcher with a 4" mouth would be pretty enticing for a dart frog and would end up with a $50 meal... Do they like swim around in the fluid and climb out? lol...?
    Here's an interesting photo, I think the frogs prob. could jump back out:


  2. #18
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverd View Post
    Here's an interesting photo, I think the frogs prob. could jump back out:

    Don't darts like suck at swimming? They would have nothing to launch off of either and it would be impossible to climb out.

  3. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Don't darts like suck at swimming? They would have nothing to launch off of either and it would be impossible to climb out.
    They might suck at swimming, but they do LOVE water.
    I see most of mine just sitting in water in their terrariums .
    Here's a crazy Leuc that I thought might drown. (BUT didn't).


  4. #20
    I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics.

    I hope to get some dendrobates azureus at some point. My favorite dart.
    I'm always checking them out when I go to reptile shows.


    My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

  5. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Great pics.

    I hope to get some dendrobates azureus at some point. My favorite dart.
    I'm always checking them out when I go to reptile shows.
    Once you get their terrarium built, they are super EASY to keep.
    Although you have to culture fruit flies constantly. (also easy)
    They will only eat live, moving food. Even if they fruit fly stands still they will not eat it.
    BUT as soon as it moves, ZAP - frog food!!!!

  6. #22
    eou812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Dont they have enough poison to kill like up to 20 dogs?

  7. #23
    I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steverd,
    Let me ask you about FF cultures. I did raise them some years ago for my freshwater fish I had. It seemed like they would eventually get mites and the cultures would crash.
    How do you prevent this?

    Also a thought I was having since the dendrobates azureus are a bit bigger, placing Blatta lateralis egg cases in a dish in the dart tank for food. No where the hassle of FF, but the problem if they get out of the dish and go uneaten.....


    eou812 - Darts get there poison from the food they eat in there natural habitat. So captive bred darts do not have the poison.


    My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

  8. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eou812 View Post
    Awesome! Dont they have enough poison to kill like up to 20 dogs?
    No, they are complete safe in the home terrarium. Not poisonous.

    I've only had one jump out of the terrarium in the last year. I had one of
    the doors open moving stuff around. BUT they are hard to catch once they get out!

    ---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Steverd,
    Let me ask you about FF cultures. I did raise them some years ago for my freshwater fish I had. It seemed like they would eventually get mites and the cultures would crash.
    How do you prevent this?

    Also a thought I was having since the dendrobates azureus are a bit bigger, placing Blatta lateralis egg cases in a dish in the dart tank for food. No where the hassle of FF, but the problem if they get out of the dish and go uneaten...
    For the fruit flies, I have all of my cultures sitting on 'MITE PAPER'. This will prevent the spread of mites.

    As for feeding, I do not know anything about Blatta lateralis egg cases.
    But I do know, if the food does NOT move they will not eat it!!
    I also culture springtails and feed them those. Plus they are great for the substrate!

    steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •