User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reptile/Amphibian easy care pets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reptile/Amphibian easy care pets?

My oldest boy is almost 9 and wants either a lizard or a frog. Originally a snake was in his plans but I am not ok with snakes or spiders; not afraid of them, but I don't want them living in my house and am not really happy with feeding baby mice to anything. No problem with crickets or bugs though, they are fair game.

Obviously, I will have to supervise his care of any animal at his age, but what is a good and easy first time pet - other than fish. I can't cart an aquarium across the country as I realized with my fresh water setup when I moved from AZ. Luckily, my mom took it.

Something that won't get huge like an Iguana, but doesn't need high maintenance and can be moved around fairly easily if need be. Since the military is picky on shipping, my plants and dogs come with me in the truck or car (tow the mustang with the truck) so I have space for a terrarium anyway (plants are on the no-ship list, haha, wouldn't think if shipping anything alive with my furniture, just to clear that up).

I have never had a reptile or amphibian as a pet so I have no idea. Some research guides and suggestions would be great. We are in no hurry to get any kind of new pet, I want to know how to take care of something well first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look into leopard geckos. They are large enough to comfortably handle but not so large that housing them becomes a problem. They are usually very even tempered (as adults, babies take a while to settle down), and do well in a simple setup without the need for expensive lighting like many other lizards. Geckoforums.net is a great resource.

I would skip frogs for now, a boy his age is going to want something he can handle and interact with and frogs do not deal well with that sort of disturbance.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leopard Geckos are great lizards.

http://sd2cx1.webring.org/l/rd?ring=...ecko_care.html

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking something that doesn't get handled. He has younger siblings (6, 4, and 1) and I don't want an animal to get injured...or escape in my house. Can you get adult geckos (rescue maybe?) or? Do they "mill" them like puppies? I'll check out the forum you mentioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have something that is some sort of temperate tree frog (because I don't heat the tank and she just lives at house temps) that requires a couple crickets every few days (coated in vitamin powder), a water dish, and that's it. Here she is --

Somewhere between 1" and 2" I think. If you can find one for sale at a specialty pet shop, they make great pets She's a she so she doesn't spend the night screaming and ribbeting either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    green or cuban tree frogs or packman frog. you can find some species of snakes that eat crickets or some that eat goldfish
    So many plants...so little time

My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ody-s-Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 lined skink is a nice lizard and quite hardy, not to expensive and not overly demanding when it comes to temps, food etc. Further, mine skinks were always fairly active so I got to see them quite a bit.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    5 lined skink is a nice lizard and quite hardy, not to expensive and not overly demanding when it comes to temps, food etc. Further, mine skinks were always fairly active so I got to see them quite a bit.
    I have multiple colonies of native five lined skinks here. They are very active during the day and even the wild ones quickly adjust to having humans around and don't run off to hide as we walk by.

When my children were little we stuck to box turtles. Active enough to be interesting and didn't require live food. And best of all, since we also had cats, they weren't so active that the cats tried to get at them.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast