Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poison Dart Frogs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are awesome. the only thing stopping me from keeping pdf is the whole fruitfly thing. i'll stick with my snakes that eat f/t, lol.
    So many plants...so little time

My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ody-s-Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Excellent! I've always wanted to do PDFs but been worried about the 80*F "heat limit". Most of my terrariums get higher than that if i don't have cool air pumped into em.
    I wouldn't necessarily call 80F the "heat limit", but you don't want to go too high over that. Last summer, my A/C failed while I was gone for the weekend, and it got to 96F in the frog room. Thankfully, all of them were ok. What causes your tanks to get so hot? I keep my house thermostat set around 78 during the summer, and my tanks still don't really go above 82F.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I used to breed thousands of Poison Dart frogs, I had over 200 pairs/breeding groups. It's nice to see that the Varadero imitators are more available. They were extremely rare when I was in the hobby. I think I paid $700.00 for my pair and they were more than likely smuggled in. Good thing they were prolific breeders. I can only assume Mark Pepper played a big hand in getting these frogs established. I miss keeping them sometimes................. until I think about the 200+ fruitfly cultures I had to make every week.

Love the pic of the P.vitattus carrying tadpoles too. Great shot.
    What species/locales did you keep? The ones above with the red head are actually Ranitomeya benedicta. They're similar to the R. fantastica that Veradero imitators mimic. A friend of mine has the Veradero imis, and they're awesome litle frogs as well. The tadpole shot is my Hyloxalus azureiventris, like vitattus, it's underappreciated because they're such prolific breeders. These are a little less worked with also because females are so rare in this country. Amazingly, he carried around those tadpoles for almost 3 whole days!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my departure from the hobby, R.benedicta hadn't been described yet and was still considered a form of R.fantastica (then, R.fantasticus). It's interesting that after all these years H.azureiventris females are still so scarce. At my time in the hobby there were only like 3 known to exist in collections in the U.S. and they were old and seldomly bred successfully. New imports were just starting to come in when I sold off the collection.

To the best of my recollection, here's a rough list of what I kept and bred:

Adelphobates :
    castaneonicus
    galactonotus - Moon Shine
    galactonotus - Red
    galactonotus - Yellow

Amreega:
    trivittata - Red
    trivitatta - Yellow
    trivittata - Green

Dendrobates :
    auratus - Reticulated
    auratus - Hawaiian
    auratus - Costa Rican
    auratus - Panama Blue
    auratus - Black
    auratus - Kuna Yala
    auratus - Camoflage
    auratus - Darien Gap
    auratus - Bocas Del Toro
    auratus - Forget the locale, it was a Mountain. Beautiful big metallic blue frogs.
    leucomelas - Standard
    leucomelas - Chocolate
    leucomelas - Albino
    tinctoruis - Formerly azureus
    tinctorius - Sipalawini Blue
    tinctorius - Sipalawini Green
    tinctorius - French Guyana
    tinctorius - Alanis
    tinctorius - Infer-Alanis
    tinctorius - Patricia
    tinctorius - Lorenzo
    tinctorius - Bakuis
    tinctorius - Surinam Cobalt
    tinctorius - Weygoldt
    tinctorius - Saul Yellow Back
    tinctorius - Giant Orange
    tinctorius - Regina
    tinctorius - Oyapoque
    tinctorius - Brazilian Yellow Head
    tinctorius - Citronella
    truncatus - Yellow
    truncatus - green

Epipedobates:
    anthonyii
    tricolor

Hyloaxlus :
    azureiventris - 2 Males

Oophaga :
    arborea - Red
    histrionica
    pumilo - Cayo De agua
    pumilio - Bastimentos - Several varieties
    pumilio - Mann Creek/Alimirante
    pumilio - Bocas Del Toro
    pumilio - Darkland
    pumilio - Colon
    pumilio - San Cristobal
    pumilio - Bri Bri
    pumilio - Pope Island
    pumilio - Escudo de Veraguas
    pumilio - Rio Branco
    sylvatica

Phyllobates :
    bicolor
    lugubris
    terribilis - Mint Green
    terribilis - Yellow
    terribilis - Orange
    vitattus

Ranitomeya :
    amazonica - 2 Different lines
    fantastica - Standard
    fantastica - Yellow ( which were ironically red)
    imitator - Standard
    imitator - Tarapoto
    imitator - Intermedius
    imitator - Varadero
    lamasi - Standard
    lamasi - Panguana
    lamasi - Red/Orange
    reticulata
    ventrimaculatus - Yellow
    ventrimaculatus - Red - Todd Kelly Line
    ventrimaculatus - Red - German Line

I know I'm forgetting some, especially auratus, tinctorius, ventrimaculatus and pumilio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's a really impressive list. I'd love to have the opportunity to work with some of those, especially some of the obligates and standard lamasi (now sirensis) Do you remember which histrionicus and sylvatica you had? I have a single sub-adult red head. Very cool frog but I only see it about once a month, unfortunately. The auratus mountain locale you mentioned may have been El Cope. That's what I have pictured, and I know they come from higher elevations in Panama.

I think more H. azureiventris came in with Sean Stewart's INIBICO import. I got mine from someone selling their collection, but I think they're originally from that import. It's believed that high temperatures when raising tads leads to male heavy clutches. I'm raising all of my current tads in a poorly insulated room, so it stays in the 60s usually. Hopefully, that I can raise up some females.

Were you ever a member of Dendroboard? Thanks for the list, and feel free to add your pictures here if you would like!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither the histrionicus or the sylvaticus had locale data on them. The histrionicus were blue and a smokey silvery blackish brown and the sylvaticus were yellow and dark brown. The auratus weren't the El Cope. They were huge for an auratus, tinctorius sized frogs. Their pattern looked like the small reticulated variety only metallic sea green/blue instead of green.

I definitely witnessed temperature dependant sexing going on with my Phyllobates and Epipedobates froglets. It makes sense that H.azureiventris would be the same way given how closely they are related. When I got my H.azureiventris it was still classified as an Epipedobates. Sean's INIBICO imports rings a distinct bell. All of that was just starting when I bailed on the hobby.

I was a member of Dendroboard but, wasn't very active on there. I would sell my surplus froglets on there once in a while. Especially the thumbnail species and pricier tinctorius and obligate egg feeders that my wholesale customers wouldn't touch.

Here's a few pics that somehow survived through the years :

Dendrobates leucomelas

Ranitomeya sirensis (Formerly Standard lamasi)

Oophaga pumilio - Cayo de Agua

Oophaga pumilio - Colon

Oophaga pumilio - Bri Bri

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Excellent! I've always wanted to do PDFs but been worried about the 80*F "heat limit". Most of my terrariums get higher than that if i don't have cool air pumped into em.
    Don't believe everything you read on these guys Josh. Mine were in the 90's and above for most of July and August every year. Some became inactive during this time and would hide in crevices and burrows at the bottom of the terrariums and others slowed their breeding down a bit but, I've never lost a frog due to the high summer temps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I though the heat was beneficial to treating chtridiomycosis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they also recently discovered crayfish/crustaceans as a potential vector for chytrid and allows it to persist long after amphibians have been wiped out.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...yfish-science/
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast