Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poison Dart Frogs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noob alert - would any of the higher-elevation species do well in a HL greenhouse (like in Paul's - Whimgrinder)?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for s fact that Epipedobates tricolor do very well in greenhouses as I'm sure many more do as well. Especially the smaller "thumbnail" species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The histrionicus you describe sound interesting. The big Oophaga are pretty rare these days, so hearing accounts of them being kept are always interesting to me. Did they ever breed for you? I've never seen an auratus like you describe, probably one of the many lost to popularity swings. There aren't many keeping the less common auratus now, even the Costa Rican greens aren't offered for sale much. Thanks for the pictures!

The 80F heat ceiling has a lot to do with people keeping totally sealed enclosures. They often experience 90+F in nature, but they take advantage of evaporative cooling and find cooler niches within their habitat. Mine survived the high temps I think because all of my tanks are vented to fresh air. I think chytrid is killed above 85F or something close to that, but I've never heard or read of chytrid as a proven reason a collection was lost. New imports sometimes test positive for it, but they are treated with antifungals while in quarantine. The crawfish as a vector is still being debated, but many amphibians are unaffected by the fungus but serve as vectors to keep it going during dry seasons or after it wipes out a specific population...red eye tree frogs, green tree frogs, and I think even bull frogs can be vectors.

As long as the greenhouse was escape proof and the frogs had access to sufficient food, I think they'd do great in one. Species like tricolor, the highland morph of anthonyi, H. azureiventris, and many of the riverine Ameerega come to mind as candidates. The Atlanta Botanic Gardens has E. tricolor free roaming in their cloudforest exhibit.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute lil devils. I've always liked them but have never tried them -- bit beyond my finances and I'm already way short on space as it.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goods, it's my T5 HO lamps which cause the terrarium shelves to be warm 82-85*F in the summer months with the lights on. For the Mantids and things it didn't matter much, they just grew faster and ate more.

Johnny said:
    until I think about the 200+ fruitfly cultures I had to make every week.
    And that's the other reason!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I had over 200 breeding groups/pairs plus another 50 or 60 rearing tanks. The fruitfly situation isn't too bad if you can keep the hobby to under 10 terrariums. Good luck with THAT though !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Goods, it's my T5 HO lamps which cause the terrarium shelves to be warm 82-85*F in the summer months with the lights on. For the Mantids and things it didn't matter much, they just grew faster and ate more.

Johnny said:

And that's the other reason!
    I don't think those temps would be detrimental if you kept the more common "easy" species. The flies are my least favorite part about it, but they aren't too bad...much better than crickets. Those are awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while since I updated this thread, here's a shot of one of my Ranitomeya reticulata breeders. These guys could literally sit on my pinkie nail but are quite possibly the most aggressive species I keep.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast