Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison Dart Frogs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poison Dart Frogs!

Along with orchids, these little guys are a hobby of mine. I've got about 10 tanks of them right now with different species/locales in each. These are just a few pictures of them I had that I thought I'd share. Enjoy!

[IMG] IMAG0161 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMAG0160 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMAG0157 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMG_0661 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMAG0151 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMAG0012 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMG_0541 by goods82, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really liking the last one, with the bright turquoise. Not a color often seen in nature.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are beautiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very, very cool.. what do you feed them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardom View Post
    very, very cool.. what do you feed them?
    Flightless fruitflies are the staple but also various isopods, springtails, bean beetles. Some people also feed pea aphids, mites, and booklice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! I've always wanted to do PDFs but been worried about the 80*F "heat limit". Most of my terrariums get higher than that if i don't have cool air pumped into em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooo cute!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to breed thousands of Poison Dart frogs, I had over 200 pairs/breeding groups. It's nice to see that the Varadero imitators are more available. They were extremely rare when I was in the hobby. I think I paid $700.00 for my pair and they were more than likely smuggled in. Good thing they were prolific breeders. I can only assume Mark Pepper played a big hand in getting these frogs established. I miss keeping them sometimes................. until I think about the 200+ fruitfly cultures I had to make every week.

Love the pic of the P.vitattus carrying tadpoles too. Great shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are awesome. the only thing stopping me from keeping pdf is the whole fruitfly thing. i'll stick with my snakes that eat f/t, lol.
    So many plants...so little time

My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ody-s-Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Excellent! I've always wanted to do PDFs but been worried about the 80*F "heat limit". Most of my terrariums get higher than that if i don't have cool air pumped into em.
    I wouldn't necessarily call 80F the "heat limit", but you don't want to go too high over that. Last summer, my A/C failed while I was gone for the weekend, and it got to 96F in the frog room. Thankfully, all of them were ok. What causes your tanks to get so hot? I keep my house thermostat set around 78 during the summer, and my tanks still don't really go above 82F.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I used to breed thousands of Poison Dart frogs, I had over 200 pairs/breeding groups. It's nice to see that the Varadero imitators are more available. They were extremely rare when I was in the hobby. I think I paid $700.00 for my pair and they were more than likely smuggled in. Good thing they were prolific breeders. I can only assume Mark Pepper played a big hand in getting these frogs established. I miss keeping them sometimes................. until I think about the 200+ fruitfly cultures I had to make every week.

Love the pic of the P.vitattus carrying tadpoles too. Great shot.
    What species/locales did you keep? The ones above with the red head are actually Ranitomeya benedicta. They're similar to the R. fantastica that Veradero imitators mimic. A friend of mine has the Veradero imis, and they're awesome litle frogs as well. The tadpole shot is my Hyloxalus azureiventris, like vitattus, it's underappreciated because they're such prolific breeders. These are a little less worked with also because females are so rare in this country. Amazingly, he carried around those tadpoles for almost 3 whole days!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast