Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise visitor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know definitively the iris ID holds true for Easterns, Southerns, and Three Toes which are all species I've caught/kept over the years. Did the male/female pair you're referring to ever produce viable eggs?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SubRosa is correct. Male ornate box turtles will have red irises, more markings on the shell, a concave plastron, thick tail and almost always, a yellow head.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. And we never "kept" the box turtles around, so I wouldn't have a clue if they would have made eggs or not. Like I said, last I saw either of them was about 4 or 5 years ago, they stay pretty hidden under the deck I'm assuming.......
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww!! What a little cutie. They are pretty common around here. I get them by my pond all the time, but it must be something special to see them where they are endangered. Even though they aren't endangered here, I will still pull over to help one across the street. I love the crazy looks people in the neighborhood give me!
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turtles are nice. I remember that once I visited a creek/river that I didn't know the name of, and one of the people who ran a snack bar/refreshments stand found a tiny baby snapping turtle! It was only about an inch long but already had its ferocious bite and took a good-sized chunk out of a hot dog (good-sized in proportion to the turtle). I almost took it home and put it in my pond until I remembered that they grow huge and easily can take off a few fingers. A shame, though, 'cause it was really cute!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a snapping turtle at my high school, saved him after he was hit by a car. I named him Verne.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can almost certainly count on having it stick around as long as there's food, water, and suitable spots to hibernate. As a kid I caught and released the same male Eastern for 8 years in a row. I'd find him in the spring, bring him in for the summer and release him in the fall. If we hadn't moved I'd probably still be doing it 40 years later.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there's probably plenty of that here, more now since I've managed to get lettuce and spinach, among other things, growing wild in my yard.....
    Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast