Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My OTHER Hobby

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My OTHER Hobby

I have a 'reptile room' in my house, where temps are a bit more consistent than the rest of the house. And during the winter, warmer, lol. I nap in there when I let the rest of the house get cold. Last winter was ridiculous - power bills climbed up past what my monthly mortgage payment is. Working on fixing that.

Anyways - here are a few pics of my reptiles.

My oldest current reptile, Houdini (named because he periodically escapes his tank - I don't know how, but I suspect he climbs the filter.) He is 18 this year. I have had him since he was a hatchling.

My first snake ever (she is 9 years old this year) Sinthia (Short for Mors Absinthia) Here she is with her second clutch:

Calypso is our bearded dragon. She is cageless, and has the run of the reptile room. A station is set up for her, from which she doesn't usually stray too far. She has a pool, basking spot, heated cave and a window ledge to call her own.

This big girl is Akasha, a BOa constrictor. She is around 10 feet long, and weighs close to 50 pounds. She is about 7 years old, and still growing.

Vladimir is a Boa constrictor also, but one of the dwarf subspecies. Possibly Nicaraguan. This boy is 35 inches of not-so-intimidating trouble. He is very special, and sometimes injures himself, resulting in vet bills that devour an entire paycheck.

Jacket is a Jungle Carpet Python. Mailed out to me all the way from California

This is Alistaire, who died recently of Leukemia. I didn't even know he had it, but when he died suddenly, without warning, I took him in for a necropsy.

This is Peaches, a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, and the whole reason I ever got into reptiles. Saw a picture of one of these in a textbook when I was young, and was instantly and irrevocably in love. Did my research, and found out they were not a beginner snake, so I started with something easier - Ball Pythons, which in turn led to an addiction.

Detail of skin iridescence:

It isn't all of them, but some are a lot more willing to be photographed than others. Colubrids won't hold still long enough for good pics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bred reptiles for years and even though I've seen a million of them.......I can't say that it ever gets old looking at a nice Epicrates.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    ... a nice Epicrates.
    I agree.

Some nice lookin herps ya got there.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snakes!!! I only have corn snakes, but I love boas and pythons, can't wait for the day when I can have a Brazilian rainbow of my own.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple corns, but they do not intrigue me as much as the 'fat' snakes. Boas and Pythons, and maybe someday, a Mangrove snake.

About half of my reptiles are rescues and adoptions, handed off to me when their owners lost interest or ability to care for them. Most came in good health, but a few were in questionable condition upon arrival.

At least it gives me a warm place to hang out when the rest of my house is 57ºF, and the reptile room is still 80ºF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sick, you're one lucky person to be taking care of these awesome guys. Peaches looks beautiful, they all do! Don't know much about reptiles, but is Akasha about to molt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some fantastic looking snakes, and I have to tip my hat to you for successfully keeping them as long as you have. I've dabbled here and there, but always ended up selling / giving them away, for one reason or another.

No cresties in your collection?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Akasha is indeed about to molt in that picture. The skin that came off a couple days later was a whopper, and I'm framing parts of it.

The skin is always bigger than the snake. Usually, the snake is about 80% of the length of it's shed skin. So a 10 foot skin would mean about an 8 foot snake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast