Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turtle help please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turtle help please!

Ok so to make it short my house mate brought in a turtle of hers and well sadly now the shell does not look healthy and is actually cracking and lifting up. She does not have money for a vet to see him so im posting photos here to see if any of you guys might have an idea as to what might be going on. I can take better photos if needed (or i can at least try to)

IMG_1022[1]

IMG_1020[1]

IMG_1021[1]

any ideas?
    Last edited by Nep Lover; 07-25-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, that looks bad. There are others out there more experienced than I am in situations like this. This looks like shell rot to me though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two main causes of shell problems in turtles. Lack of UV light and lack of an ability to dry off completely. Most heat lamps do not provide UV, so a fluorescent or HID light should be used to provide UV. If possible arranging for the turtle to spend some time outside in the sun would likely prove very beneficial.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those cracks are sutures of the bones that makes up the shell. It's what holds them together. It means the shell was badly damaged enough to lose the outer scales (called the 'Lamina') Completely, either from shell rot, or injury.

A vet might be able to save it, but the immune system is compromised without that outer layer of scales, and the bone will deteriorate without the protection, exposing the internal organs to bacteria. Very likely needs systemic antibiotics, and a sterile environment for some time, until a vet can be reached to patch the shell. Surgery may be necessary. Do not poke or pry at the bone fragments, as you could loosen them up further, and cause damage or infection. Those scales will not grow back.

In short, without a vet, that turtle is a goner.

http://www.anapsid.org/shellrepair.html
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes that leads me to my next question if anyone local to MD would be willing to take him in pretty much as a rescue? i know its a lot to ask but neither myself nor my roomie want to see this turtle go down and if theres still a chance then he needs to have this chance to get help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have not picked at the bone just lifted him up for a better photo and to get a better look at it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    yes that leads me to my next question if anyone local to MD would be willing to take him in pretty much as a rescue? i know its a lot to ask but neither myself nor my roomie want to see this turtle go down and if theres still a chance then he needs to have this chance to get help
    If your roommate (the owner) still wants to care for it (perhaps better), I'm sure a vet would be willing to work something out as far as payment if it was an emergency. You'd hope, anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, try posting this on turtleforum.com Lots of experts there, its a nice and helpful group.
    Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast