User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What animals can I keep in a greenhouse?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about scorpions/tarantulas?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free range or caged ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free-range.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many pesticides will also kill arachnids.

Once established, it would be a good idea to introduce insect eating creatures (whether larger insects, or small vertebrates) to help keep pest populations under control.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not recommend any free range scorpions in a greenhouse situation. If they happen to establish themselves, you'll eventually wish you hadn't put them in there. Constant stings every time you move plants around will get mighty old, even from relatively harmless species. Most tarantula species would also be unsuitable with the possible exception of some of the arboreal species like Avicularia. As Dragoness points out, with arachnids in a greenhouse you can never use any pesticides at all if you wish to keep them alive. Have you thought about the fact that these are shy nocturnal animals that you'll almost never see unless you're rummaging around in there ? Escape is also something to consider. The greenhouse will have to have to be sealed with silicone at every possible joint and gap. You'll also want to install a double entryway in order to avoid any creatures from sneaking out. Even with these precautions in place, it's almost 100% that likely that at least a few of these critters will find a way out. How do you plan on feeding these animals in the greenhouse ? You can't just release crickets in there, as they'll cause major damage to the plants. You'll have to have large, established free range colonies of roaches running about in order to keep these animals fed. There's a lot to consider when starting an enclosed ecosystem like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about stick-insects and praying mantids?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as stick insects go, I can't think of a worse idea than releasing a bunch of plant eating bugs into a greenhouse. Mantids may be possible but again, you run into the problem of supplying adequate food for these free roaming carnivorous animals.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frogs! Frogs frogs frogs! My frogs love bathing in the Nepenthes pitchers, it's great.

I've heard that some people put bunnies in their greenhouses to create heat at night. You'd probably need a couple. You can get them very cheap from the right place, I'm sure. And one upside to bunnies is that they're bunnies as well, so you can pet them and be really happy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast