What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Old Photos from my Reptile/Amphibian Days.

• Thread starter Cthulhu138
  • Start date
Breeding Uroplatus isn't all that difficult. They just need exacting conditions that vary from species to species. Rearing the neonates can be challenging but, I've dealt with more difficult animals.

Found some more pics. 1st up, some bugs............

Therea olegrandjeani

Therea petiveriana

Gyna capucina

Dynastes grantii - Male

Dynastes grantii - Female

Rhacodactylus ciliatus

Rhacodactylus auriculatus

Rhacodactylus sarasinorum

Rhacodactylus chahoua

And these 2 in the process of making..............

These !

Rhacodactylus leacheanus henkeli - Nuu Ana

Rhacodactylus leacheanus henkeli - Nuu Ami

Last edited:
Strophurus williamsii - Reticulated Form

Oedura monilis

Lygodactylus lugubris - A cosmopolitan parthenogenic species.

The Pristurus carteri enclosure.

The breeding tanks for the smaller Uroplatus species......U.ebenaui, U.malama and U.phantasticus.

My booth at one of the Herp Shows I used to vend at.

Last edited:
some pretty roaches, too.

I had a Tokay for a while, never really minded his bite, or (his bark). What I never cared for in terms of lizards biting was the green amieva my brother had.

Love the bugs! Were you breeding Dynastes?

some pretty roaches, too.

I had a Tokay for a while, never really minded his bite, or (his bark). What I never cared for in terms of lizards biting was the green amieva my brother had.

It's not the pain from a Tokay's bite that sucks, it's their reluctance to let go. I've seen several latch on to something and actually prefer death over defeat. Tokays were one of the first exotic reptiles I ever kept. I had one or 2 when I was a kid but quickly tired of them and moved on to more rare and exotic species. Ameivas, like most Teiids can be really aggressive and deliver a pretty nasty bite. They are just miniature tegus after all.

Johnny I love all these reptile pics. If you find any more; keep posting! haha

It's not the pain from a Tokay's bite that sucks, it's their reluctance to let go. I've seen several latch on to something and actually prefer death over defeat.

Sounds like some humans I've encountered!
Seriously, the reptiles are amazingly beautiful. I can appreciate why people get so deeply fascinated by them.

Found 1 more..........

Hemisphaeriodon gerrardi - One of my Pink Tounged Skinks

Last edited:
Being as it is a skink do they do the tongue flicking as snakes do? 'Cool lizard, and pretty substantial looking.

Not as extreme as in snakes but, yes they're constantly "tasting" their way around.

Seriously, the reptiles are amazingly beautiful. I can appreciate why people get so deeply fascinated by them.
Yes, these critters are incredibly cool, interesting, intriguing....
What 'interesting' geckos can handle day temps in the 70's & night in the 50's?

Yes, these critters are incredibly cool, interesting, intriguing....
What 'interesting' geckos can handle day temps in the 70's & night in the 50's?

Uroplatus, Eurydactylodes and Rhacodactylus would fit the bill quite nicely at those temps Ron. Some other montane gecko species that would do well in cool tropical conditions are Goniurosaurus and Aeluroscalabotes felinus which lives among the HL Nepenthes of Malaysia and Indonesia.

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny! Some very cool species in there ...

Aeluroscalabotes felinus which lives among the HL Nepenthes of Malaysia and Indonesia.
That's the overall idea. A 'naturalized' greenhouse full of orchids, Neps & Utrics - basically an upsized paludarium.

Ron, if you're looking to get some Aeluroscalabotes, try to get captive bred ones vs. wild caught for sustainability sake. The WC ones actually come in in fairly good shape with reasonably low parasite loads and conform to captive conditions readily but, it's always good to go with CB animals when possible. You also want to get the "Cameron Highlands" locale vs. The "Silver Eyed" variant which are native to the lowlands of Johor (and usually quite a bit more expensive). There has been at least one new species added to the genus (A.dorsalis) since I used to breed them and I can't speak for their origins or care.

These guys like a lot of leaf litter and shrubby, branchy low growing plants for cover. I used to use several ficus species for plants (Vireya species would also work very well and are also native to the same areas) along with dead live oak (Quercus virginiana) and Magnolia leaves on the floor and stuffed into the branches of the small trees. They'll spend the day curled up like a cat (hence the epithet and common name of "Cat Gecko") in the branches or among the leaves and are active at night. Aeluroscalabotes also seem to be somewhat more sensitive to minerals than most other geckos. I only recommend RO water for them and only supplementing their food once a month with vitamin and calcium powder.

The enclosures I kept and bred them in were very similar to these tanks if not, these exact tanks at one point or another.

I'm very out of touch with my former hobby/business but some good places to start looking for these guys would be:

The kingsnake.com classifieds under "Other Geckos".
http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=31

Geckos Unlimited classifieds.
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=5

Last edited:
cool critters.

Back