What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Bearded Dragon!

rDgyQVll.jpg

all hail the glory of Apollo Creed; ignore the edible cricket hat.

0in54Z4l.jpg

This is the tank, the 20 gallon awesomeness that it is. Apollo manages to hide from me sometimes and freak me out, that crafty lap lizard. Took me an embarrassing 15 minutes to find her in that clump of leaves to the right. Must have been going after the crickets that like to delay the inevitable by hiding in there.

beardies are adorable. Mine is spoiled rotten. Have you thought about culturing cockroaches to feed it (her?) when it grows larger?

beardies are adorable. Mine is spoiled rotten. Have you thought about culturing cockroaches to feed it (her?) when it grows larger?

Yes, however, my grandmother will have none of those in her house, so it is crickets for now.

So adorable they are cuties arent they . nice set up u got their for it she/he must love it :)

Nice setup, I miss having bearded dragons.. Do you catch the crickets you feed them?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How much green food do you feed it in addition to bugs?

bTN1f36l.jpg

Apollo now. Marvel at her 17 inch long greatness!

I actually have 3 bearded dragons now, 2 females and 1 male.
sCP4kSHl.jpg

Linnaeus, a leatherback boy currently in shed, 19 inches long and still growing.
QDzIeXml.jpg

Objects in the picture are brighter than they appear. Freya may have a nubby tail, but she is a beauty to behold.

As for what I feed them, collard greens, endive, mustard greens, watercress, and turnip greens are the most common leafy greens that I feed them. They all have vastly different fruit preferences; for example, Linnaeus loves grapes, blueberries, and watermelon, hates banana (a treat item Freya loves), is ambivalent towards prickly pear, and likes kiwi (another treat). Same goes for the non-leafy vegetables; one has to just present these guys with a lot of variety when young, and try to figure out what they like and don't like. Heck, it even extends to feeders: the only feeders all three like are dubia roaches, crickets, and superworms. The ladies love hornworms, but Linnaeus completely ignores them, even when I try to hand feed them to him.

An important thing to consider with bearded dragons and a lot of other lizards is that they can become bored of being fed the same things repeatedly, and refuse to eat them after a while. So, I generally shift between 3 mixes a week, and change the mixes in accordance with what is seasonal and on sale.

As for catching the feeders, no, I do not. Wild insects can be contaminated with pesticides and carry parasites, so I wouldn't intentionally feed them to my bearded dragons.

Last edited:
Back