What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hibiscus good for iguanas?

Is it true that hibiscus leaves and flowers are good food for iguanas and that they should be offered as much as possible?

I have two hibiscus plants that I do not spray pesticides on or fertilize, can I give my juvenile iguana leaves and flowers from the plants regularly (lets say 3-4 times a week?)\

Thanks for the help.

I don't know how "good" hibuscus are for iguanas but the two that live in my neighborhood sure are getting fat on them. They spend every morning and evening denuding my neighboos hibiscus hedge. The male is pretty agressive and every bit of five feet long. The female is about two and one half feet. They have worked out a "live and let live" arrangement with my Doberman but I notice they don't challenge him...very, very smart Iguanas. I have observed them mating on my back patio....soooo...I guess there will be little Iguanas soon.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info, how can you tell which ones the male and which ones the female?

males have a dewlap, the fan that protrudes from under the chin. they also have a tall set of spikes on back. Females are more docile.

Corrtect Zach. The male is just plain mean looking, very green most of the time and very protective of the female. When he is irritated he turns charcoal black and the red portions turn yellow. They just love the hibiscus flowers

Usually male iguanas are nasty when you get them thats how mine was until i tamed it. they also have a much larger dewlap and the bob there head often. The female iguanas usually are not as colorful they usually are more greyish in color. Hope this helps.

Back