Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

what animals can live in terreriums? (so we know what to talk about)

Spectabilis73 [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, i wouldnt place any herps or animals with CP's for a few reasons. 1st: the terrarium's soil will be mostly peat and if animal feces get on it and decompose, the soil will no longer me nutrient free. 2nd: plants like sundews, etc are very delicate and will get crushed by larger herps like frogs, salamanders, liziards, etc. 3rd: if you go for the insects as animals for the terrarium, the smaller ones might get eaten or the larger ones like scorpions will burrow and mite destroy the plants' roots.

Well, enough of the negative stuff. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

If you would like to create a natural terrarium that doesn't have any CP's, get any copy of Reptiles Magazine. The articles in "The Living Vivarium" is in every copy and talks about making vivariums/terrariums for Herps.

Good luck-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zach -

Although I would agree that larger lizards and snakes would be potentially destructive to any live plants in a terrarium, there are loads of cool terrarium animals that work VERY well with certain CPs. I have a 30 gallon hex tank with a Leaftail Gecko, two Red-eyed Treefrogs and a Peacock Frog. I have built some neat bark-covered "pots" attached to the cypress bark backing of the tank, and routinely keep Nepenthes in these. Nepenthes gracilis is an excellent choice here. Of course, small sundews and other small ground dwellers (pinguicula) would most likely not be good candidates for a terrarium with active critters, but most CPs would do fine in a terrarium with a couple of small Poison Frogs (Dendrobates)...as long as their temperature and humidity requirements are similar.

Hope this helps!
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wanting to make a terrarium for a while, maybe I'll get some ideas from here!
    Spectabilis73

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting concept Mike. I never thought of the dead leaf geckos or dart frogs. Dont you worry about the feces causing an inbalance with the acidity and nutrient lacking soil? Thanks-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zach -

Not really a problem in my terrarium. Most of the feces are deposited on the bottom of the tank in the soil with the non-CPs. The Nepenthes are in baskets made out of cypress bark and glued to the cypress bark that makes up the back wall of the terrarium. So the animals often crawl on or across the neps, but don't normally add any nutrients "up high." Works well for me!
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried several times to make a terrarium, unfortunately with no success. I have about 15 books on the subject, have read them all extensively, no luck.

My ultimate goal is to set up an environment for a small lizard (possibly a skink, they are cute&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] However I would like to get the plant growing part down first. So far I have managed to keep them alive for about a month, after that they just start wilting and die... any suggestions?

T.I.A.

Mae
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mae,

It would help if you described how your terrarium is currently setup in a bit of detail. Or have you done this in another post already?

Chris F.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast