What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft in chameleon cage

I'd post this at Kingsnake but I don't know anyone who knows about cps over there.
I ordered 16 new vft bulbs 2 Green dragons 2 Dente and 12 normals, I want to put them at the borders of my Veild chameleons cage to pick up left overs and to make the cage more attractive I'm not too worried about my veild eating them mainly because as of yet he is not interested in plants but I'm still not sure about this. Anyone done something similar? How will the vfts react to gut loaded and possibly dusted crickets? any info would be greatly appreciated. Thnx

Slizarus,
  The problem you may have is with the crickets getting moldy when in the traps or the traps 'burning' because of the extra nutrients.  I will not say for a fact that either of these will occur, as I've never fed any of my CPs gut loaded or dusted crickets.

Are you saying vft's in pots? Hmmm....might work, but as BCkid said, rotting due to crickets too large might occur. Chams like higher humidity, so thats a plus. Dormacy is important for the vft

They will be in rather short pots but they will be in them, depending on the size of the plants when they arrive I will either place them in the cage or put them in their own terrarium. though my veild is small it's likely the vfts would require crickets even smaller than what I feed my veild so I guess I wont place them with the veild for quite some time because I don't like the idea of crickets rotting. The dormancy would not be a problem I would cycle them as normal.

Don't make the same mistake I did! I put my veiled chameleon in the terrarium where I grew my miniature orchids ( 12 VERY rare miniatures...expensive as all get out, too!!&#33
wink.gif
. I very quickly found out that I owned one of the few omnivorous chameleon species!!! He ate EVERY orchid I had in one day......PLUS all his crickets!!! Needless to say, he went into a wire cage where he lived out his 4 year life. COOL lizard, though!!!

Back