Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, ya know how all these animals got into the pet trade to begin with dont ya?? it happened from..DUN DUN DUN!!!....... wild collecting. where did we get our beloved CPs from?? wild populations! i can understand capturing wild animals for breeding programs and fresh bloodlines to ensure that our beloved herps dont inbreed. so, if you think about it, collecting wild animals is good for the right reasons. i believe over collecting or collecting just to collect is wrong however. some are so rare in captivity that the only way to obtain them is from wild caught specimens. thats only because they have not been collected enough to start breeding programs. in time, it pays off because desirable species will come more readily available and more healthy through the captive breeding. i feel that alot of animals are way over collected tho. go to a petco and look at the anoles. there are a hundred or so that just sit there and die. that is uncalled for. that kind of collecting needs to be put to a stop!
    through understanding of our differences, we will find respect for one another. we are all flesh and blood. i am not affraid to speak my mind. no matter the consequences, stay true to yourself. through the humble eyes of a child, we will realize true equality.

Angry

I am confused...

Is this just a bash session on other people, or has someone actually stated that they collect wild animals on this forum?

I know that the group of people we have here are responsilble as well as kind to other people/animals.

I also think that if someone doesn't have the right information and is speaking in general terms, that is worse to anyone/thing than not saying anything at all [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

As I truly respect others opinions and feelings, I have to draw a line when things get mixed up in the process.

Just as the purpose of this post, I am not sure why I am posting or the meaing of it all [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (drosera @ Oct. 08 2002,3:22)
    I tried to do a search for the National and International laws concerning the personal collection of native wild animals. I can't seem to really pin-point the *major* legal acts concerning this issue. Because of another field of interest of mine, I was under the impression there was something called the North American Wildlife Protection Act. But apparently it doesn't exist. Does anyone know of any such act or convention? I do however know about the following: CITES, The N.A. Migratory Bird Treaty, The Endangered Species Act.
    Chris F.[/QUOTE]
    Chris -

Wildlife and plants native to the U.S. are covered under the Endangered Species Act if protected federally, or U.S. Fish and Wildlife laws for game and furbearing animals. As for other native plants and animals, it's up to the individual states to decide which ones need protection within the boundaries of their state. For instance, the Alligator Snapping Turtle is protected here in Texas, but is legal to possess in neighboring Louisiana where it is more common.

My personal opinion is that NO animal should be taken from the wild for a personal pet or personal gain. It's not fair to take an animal from the wild and put it in a cage for the rest of its life. How would anyone feel if they were stuck in their bedroom for the rest of THEIR life? No TV, radio, books, just a bed.

Sorry folks...keeping wild animals as pets is one of my pet peeves (pun intended) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

There are MORE than enough kinds of animals, especially reptiles, being captive born to satisfy even the most particular enthusiast. If you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough!
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thought here...

I think the single most important thing anyone can get out of this string is that it is especially important to DO YOUR RESEARCH!! If you get a dog, you can buy dog food. Buy a cat, cat food, Rabbit, rabbit food. But if you buy a snake, you can't just go down to Petsmart or Petco (YECH on both&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] and buy a 25 pound bag of Purina Snake Chow. Make sure you know how to care for a particular animal, and make sure it's BEFORE you get it. A boa has drastically different needs than a corn snake.

As for the collecting of wild animals - yes, all captive born animals originated from wild stock. But it took experienced persons with multiple animals to determine what needs the animals required to reproduce in captivity. I don't have a problem with the collection of animals for educational or humane research purposes, or the establishment of a captive breeding program. But I have a real problem with someone who takes an animal just so they can have it in their house (where so many wild animals end up dying).

I don't think anyone on this forum is this type of person. If they are, they should consider doing the right thing and letting that box turtle/garter snake/frog go.

Just my 2 cents...
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Houstonherp @ Oct. 11 2002,05:16)
    It's not fair to take an animal from the wild and put it in a cage for the rest of its life. How would anyone feel if they were stuck in their bedroom for the rest of THEIR life? No TV, radio, books, just a bed.[/QUOTE]
    Just out of curiosity. Do breed animals deserve this?

Joachim

P.S.: Sorry Dyflam, did initially miss a negation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Joachim @ Oct. 12 2002,02:58)
    Just out of curiosity. Do breed animals deserve other?

Joachim[/QUOTE]
    Huh? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm..in Reptiles and a few sites, they state people will often collect LEGALLY one or two wild animals to add a fresh blood line for thier breed stock.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh good, a nice discution.
    Okay, some of the stuff I listed was more standard stuff for the beginer so that they have an idea about what they are getting into. If you have like huge mega habitates with all this stuff tossed about things get differnt very quickly.

For example, soaking baths are only needed if you can't keep the animals area humidy high, most people can't, hence the need for baths. I am a little surprised a long time Herp owner hasn't herd of iodine baths! It's more for the human then the animal, but it is a pritty standard treatment to keep bacteria levels on reptile skin from going crazy.

Also, The UV light is for herps that don't get natural sun, you have lots of natral sun you don't need a UV light but it's a good precaution.

Finally, Vitimin suplements are most importent when the animal is a baby and growing. Many individuals will do fine without them but for the magority that don't, well they die or are horibbly disfigured from it. Life span for most spiecies can not yet be accuratly judged because the idea of supliments is fairly new and we just don't have old enough animals yet to know how big a differnce it will make. Heck, 4 years was good for an inguan 20 years ago, now the predicted life span is more like 20 years.

On the note of wild collecting, I have read posts by people who just picked up some local snake/turtle to keep and want to know what to do with it. That was what my post was directed at, not the collection of wild sample base stock. However, I am not good with the idea of taken them from the wild to be sold as pets because that does nothing for domesticateing them.

Others mentioned how taking stock is just as bad as taking for non stock resons, but their is a differnce. If someone is getting a wild stock animal they probubly know what they are doing. The other half of the equation is most reptiles are just to darn hard to ketch LOL, so their eggs are taken ensted.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I hope I clarified and added a bit more to the conversation, it's nice to know so many people here are againced wild collecting

-Darcie

P.S. (domestic box turtles and wild box turtles aren't the same thing,lol)
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast