What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Houstonherp @ Oct. 11 2002,05:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's not fair to take an animal from the wild and put it in a cage for the rest of its life. How would anyone feel if they were stuck in their bedroom for the rest of THEIR life? No TV, radio, books, just a bed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Mike,

I did correct my initial post already few days ago, but it seems it is still not clear. I see no reason at all, why the argument quoted from your post doesn't also apply to breed animals. Or is it fair to put a breed animal "in a cage for the rest of its life"? - I don't want to offend you here, but I can't get the logic behind this argument.

I am not in a position to critcise anyone owning an animal at all - still eating meat (from animals which are kept under horrible conditions quite often). But I am strongly against keeping any animal in totally inadequate conditions like too small cages,etc. - independent of their origin and their destination!

Joachim

I have to disagree with this statement:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In MY humble opinion, that depends on your viewpoint about the human/animal relationship in general. If you agree with having a (captive born) dog as a pet, I see no reason why you should have any problem with a (captive Born) reptile as a pet. Your pet dog is not allowed to roam free (or at least it shouldn't be, if you are truly caring for the animal as your pet), and neither should your pet reptile roam free.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I do not believe it is possible to compare domesticated animals, dogs, cats, livestock, etc. to nondomesticated animals. No breed of domestic dog today is taken from the wild, in fact the average domestic animal no longer has the instincts to survive in a wild state. The dumping of domestic animals almost always leads to their death by starvation or disease. It is kinder to take unwanted pets to a Humane Society to be adopted out or put to sleep than to drop them in the woods.

This is not the case with most 'wild' pets, even those from a pet store. If placed back in the correct environmental setting 'wild' even captive born animals can still survive.

Cheers

Okay #1, gut loading IS supplimenting, lol. #2, Wild animals get food that had a better diet. A cricket eating oatmeal and cardboard is not anywhare nere as healthy a food sorce as one eating a virety of plants and fruits. Also, wild herps live off a larger viriety of animals in the wild. That said, I move on.

Salmonilla(sp?) can be helped by washing your hands but that doesn't really cover all the issues with it in the average home. I personally have never needed to soak any any herps, but anyone with kids, other animals or a reptile having trouble sheding does.

Also, Simi-aquatic lizards really do need these treatments and trudles need them even more as they spend most of the day in the water where pathogens can build up fast in a closed environment. The Iodine prevents infection (from fungi or even a boom of salmonella in their skin).

Now, I am not surtain what creatures you grow, but very few reptiles can live in a so called nerely compleat terrarium. I know that some small tropical arboral spiecies can do well (or best), but anything that is semi-aquatic will get infections and so will ground dwellers because pathogenic organisms can build up to deadly levels so fast. In general, I would asume by your tank sizes you speak of geko, and anole? They do good in that sort of set up
smile.gif
I wouldn't put a boa, turtle, iguana or dessert critter in such a state though. Remember, we can not recreate the wild, we can not even come close, but we can create an alternitive environment thats just as good for the animal and hopefully better!

I thought I said wild Boxturtles on this thred but it must have been another. Sorry about that.

On the topic of wild capture. How the animal is treated is everything when it comes to stock collection. I'm a bit of an oddball in that I feel it is all or nothing in the domestication process. You eather leave an animal 100% wild or you treat it like a pet and don't reproduce it's environment but recreate it. This tends to be much much better for the animals happyness. Really, a wild pair needs to be handled carefully and personally I take them on till they bred and then release, but sometimes that isn't doable so people just have to do the best they can. Remember, domesticating reptiles also helps us to save the wild ones from extinction in many many cases

Back