Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snails?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep finding snails in my terrarium. I'm pretty sure they came from the former owner of the tank who kept fish in it. I also believe they are ramshorn snails although I'm somewhat confussed. I thought the snails would be water living (if they came from the former owner) but there is no water in my tank now it is planted.

They do not seem to be hurting the plants, so I'm not worried about them; although I suppose if they over populate it could become a problem. I am mostly just curious. I suppose they could have come in with the peat and be garden type snails, although they sure seem to look like the ramshorn pictures I've seen.

Anyhow, should I be worried? Any thoughts on what kind they are? If ramshorn I take it they are land lovers also?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

If they are garden snails they might eat your plants! I would try doing a google image search, "land snails" and "garden snails", and try to identyfy it...if they are garden snails, remove them from your tank, but keep them, don't kill them, they are fun to raise. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

EDIT: OH, AND IF YOU REMOVE THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT GARDEN SNAILS, KEEP THEM TOO, THEY'RE FUN TO RAISE

Info on keeping snails as pets:
    Caring for Pet Snails
    Snails as Pets
    It's Fun to Raise Snails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snales could have came in with other "field plankton" in soil, etc that is in your tank. Keep an eye on them.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I have been through the net to identify which is why I'm pretty sure they are ramshorn. I do not plan to try to remove them all together as of yet as they do not appear to be doing any harm. I mostly am curious as to their land living abilities if they are really water living type. They are cool to watch and as long as they don't get too overpopulated it should be ok. If things get too bad, I'll just have to find a snail eating frog that can co-habitat with the Anole that already lives there. But thats a story for another thread LOL

Thanks again,
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just pick up a blue tongue skink as snails are their prefered diet in the wild and captivity. One thing i must say is that those WILL reproduce like mad and WILL build there population to pest proportions. Id suggest you take appropriate action and kill them all with some form of copper application before its too late.

Peace
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Khai,

Will research the skink you mentioned. Will it be ok in an Anole tank (55 gal) and a ton of crickets (my tank is a great breeding ground)?

Thanks again
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are ramshorns, you will never be rid of them. Don't bother with pesticides, they will probably end up returning from eggs anyways. They reproduce quickly, but if you don't give them too much food (they love fishfood, unfortunately), and pick them out of the tank every month, they shouldn't cause any damage to anything. I have noticed them occasionally climbing out of the water in a fishtank. I actually keep a bunch in my lizards water dish, as they are very good at keeping the algae down in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine in the anole tank, but by the sounds of it, if you slighlty reduce the humdity, the snail population might decline.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast