Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My bearded dragon! hibernation!

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about beardies... but I do know something about UV lights. How often do you replace the UV light? You should throw away and replace it every six months. After six months, a UV light loses it's quality to produce UV rays, which deprives the reptile of it, which can lead to Metabolic Bone Disease. I learned this the hard way with my anoles a long time ago. Now I have none because I let them all go when I saw the symptoms of MBD in my female brown anole and my male green anole. I knew they were going to die anyway (MBD is uncurable), all because of my stupidity, so I let them go (I didn't buy them from the petshop. I caught them) so they could be a little happier for the time they had left. So you might want to change the UV light every six months so the beardie always has an adequet (sp?) amount of UV rays.

Good luck!
    FTG
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FTG, MBD is curable!! A vitamin D3/calcium injection once every one-three weeks (depending on animal, advanced MBD, etc.) It is fairly costly to cure, but it is possible. Sorry if I sound a little snappy, but I just want Trapsrock to know ASAP!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (lithopsman @ July 22 2003,10:55)
    FTG, MBD is curable!![/QUOTE]
    Oh... ***walks off, feeling like an idiot***
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, I aint sticking my little guy yet! Dont worry, hes OK, I guess, hes so cute in there he looks up at me like hes all happy.... or hes not... but he shows no signs of the MBD and I bought the UV light like 3 months ago, so its all good, I may have bought it too late, cause Ive had him since october 14th, but he didnt show any signs of needing it, as long as I kept the window open and let sun shine in on his cage, at the time I didnt know this would do anything, just wanted to provide some sun. But... he wont eat crickets only lettuce, I think im gonna....kill him if he doesnt pull out of it soon, because he could have alot of pain going on, that I dont know about. What would be the best way to kill him? Even though.... hes so cool...
    "That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee"
    -Little shop of horrors.

"Now, this thing smells like ****!"
    -College proffeser smelling my corpse plant.
    ^Just thought id put that in there, it was pretty funny when he said it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if he's eating the lettuce, he's obviously trying to survive, so I would give him another chance and see how he does. If he stops eating altogether, well...

EDIT: Oh, and since he's not getting all the nutrition he needs from eating crix, you might want to dust/dip the lettuce in reptile vitamin supplement powder before you give it to him. It may help him alot.

Good luck!!!
    FTG
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Don't kill him! If he doens't come around by october, and oyu dont want to keep him anymore, at least take him to a vet to be treated... if you can't do that, take him to the vet and have him put to sleep... its free, and the best way to do it... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOAH! Hold up!
    You are thinking of killing the BD? If things don't turn, why not donate it to someone how has the potental to treat the poor guy? AND if you think taking it to a vet to be euthansized is better then doing the deed yourself, think about this: with the time and money to euthansize him, you could have treated him from the same vet.

As for the lettuce, do what FTG suggsted, dust his lettuce. Also, don't just give him lettuce, try Romaine lettuce, kale, bok choy, etc.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

8. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12