Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bearded dragon! hibernation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, hello folks, im posting here to today to tell you about my beardie...dunno why I just typed...typed...tapt...typed that sentenace, but here we go.
    Ok, ive got a Bearded Dragon and hes less than a year old, I got him October 14th. Well, he was really small back then, now hes gotten quiet large, not his full 2 feet, but hes around 12 inches now, from head to tail end. The little guy went into hibernation, or "Brumination" I just say hibernation, even though hibernation is what warm blooded do, and Brumination is what cold blooded do. So, the little guy went into Brumination in February!!! AND HES STILL NOT OUT! Ive been reading up like crazy, and all the websties confirm that there only suppose to have like a 3 month brumination period, when its been around 5 months! Ive been force feeding him a little sliver of lettuce every month, cause I am getting scared, but now im really scared, because he wont eat his crickets, hasnt pooped, or yurinated since February, nor has he drinken!. Recently I took out his hide box, and have been forcing him into the basking light, but he keeps going over to his water mountain dish thing, and trying to squeeze in next to it, but I keep forcing him back out, im trying to wake him up, but he just wont do it. I really need some help here, I dont know whats going on. He doesnt seem to be sick but...just, please! Someone help!
    "That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee"
    -Little shop of horrors.

"Now, this thing smells like ****!"
    -College proffeser smelling my corpse plant.
    ^Just thought id put that in there, it was pretty funny when he said it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find anything about this either. A slightly longer brumation (not brumin-) shouldn't be a problem as long as he looks good (still fat) but still he should have gotten "up"
    He may be stressed if he's trying to squeeze into something for security take him outside. he may perk up because it has been said that UV-A has a beneficial psychological effect on reptiles and amphibians. Do you have a UV light? You may need to get another as the UV outage decreases over time even when it's still producing light.

I posted your question on kingsnake so you could get far better answers than I could provide go to
    http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=85173,85173
    2.0 Burmese Python
    0.0.1 Sandfish
    2.4.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1.13 Beardies
    0.2 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings
    -Wish list-
    Candoia SP.
    Frilled Dragon
    C.Quadricornis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is not "STILL" fat... theres alot of limp skin hanging, and hes got extra skin and stuff, because he hasnt eaten for like 5 months. I havent tried to take him outside outside, like outdoors, but ill try it when its real sunny out. Anyways, Just posting to say, no, hes getting real slim.
    -Little shop of horrors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myself and 3 other herpers reccomend you get him to the vet as Internal parasites are probably the problem soak him in warm water until he hopefully poops (on dry substrate) then collect it and take it and him to the vet and (S)he will check it to search for eggs,parasites,etc.
    2.0 Burmese Python
    0.0.1 Sandfish
    2.4.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1.13 Beardies
    0.2 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings
    -Wish list-
    Candoia SP.
    Frilled Dragon
    C.Quadricornis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did your BD go into this by himself or did you lower the photoperiod and temps and he was forced to go into it? Anyways, raise temps to optimal levels and turn on his UVB lights. If you notice he is still quite sluggish, do what Sliz mentioned, VET. Even though it may cost ya some $$, it is worth it.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I didnt force him into it, he just started sleeping tons and wouldnt eat, I looked it up, brumination, and hes been in it ever since, the temps of the cage are around 80-90 withi his basking spot around 110. His UV light is on, so bone degrowth I doubt. He is starting to perk up, but still has not pooped, ill try the warm water thing, and ive been bringing him outside.
    -Little shop of horrors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...i was going to say it was lethargic, but after you said the uv's were up, im not sure anymore.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put him in warm water, for approx 5 minutes, and he didnt poo, just puffed out his beard really big and looked at me mean.
    -Little shop of horrors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast