What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is this?

• Thread starter noah
  • Start date
Hi,

I found this little guy swimming in our pool. What is he?

DSC02067.JPG

-noah

Where do you guys live around, I heard that you guys have lizards scorpions frogs all over your backyard. The only outside critter I see is the squirrels. We used to have rabbits a couple years ago, but I think the foxes kill all of them.

***twists mouth*** Hmmm... he could be some sort of skink or something...

I had the same thought as FTG....My first reaction was "skink."

He's just a southern alligator lizard they're highly variable ones I see in cali have a lot of red but the one you got looks like the 2nd picture in my field guide showing the S.gators except the black arrows/dots on the back are reduced

Hey,
Its definetly not a northern alligator lizard (elgaria coerulea) for it lacks the dark shiny brown color. As for the southern alligator lizard (elgaria multicarinata)......I would say a sub species of the below. Straight southerns have a brown/gray look to them or green. The juveniles have to much darker coloring, and a longer tail of yours. So my guess would be elgaria coerulea shastensis, or the shasta alligator lizard. The shasta alligator lizards are usually tan color, with black crossbands.
Kevin

yeap, a little alligator lizard. Very common here in CA. Some stay small, but the average length is anout 5-6 inches, with extremes up to 10 (that was the largest one i saw while herping). Nice looking critter.

when i lived in southern cali. i caught a lot of them in the small canyon by or house and let them go in the park by our house...i was only 10
biggrin.gif

Back