Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Betta fish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently got one of them Betta fishes, he is really neat and colorful. I was just wondering if anyone else here has ever had, or does have a betta fish? How do I care for him? Mine seems to not be eating any food either? I don't want to kill him [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] So any advice at all would be appreciated.
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a quick search for the fish on MSN. First link was this, it's a forum for people with those fish. There may be losts of posts there already that could address and questions you may have. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.bettaaddicts.com/
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bettas usually require live food although I some people do have some that will eat flakes. Some site mentioned that flakes are the wrong diet for bettas and it only prolongs their death. They should really be eating live food since that's what they do in the wild. Make sure the water is warm, I believe the fish comes from the tropics and likes warmer waters. Do a little research, follow the advice and you'll have a happy fish [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Bettas are fairly easy to keep. They come from Asia, and I believe that in the wild, they live slightly soft, acidic water. In my experience, they can adjust to higher or lower water values, if you avoid extremes. They do need heat, between 25-28 deg. C being optimal. Lighting shouldn't be overly bright, but bright lights can be "filtered" by adding floating plants, which they absolutely love to hang around in anyway.

Usually the main thing I advise for these fish is to be sure they aren't placed with aggressive or energetic fish, which will usually tear apart the betta's fins (or worse). Also, strong currents must be avoided. Bettas are fish of puddles, ponds, and very slow moving streams, and can't cope with strong currents produced by power filters.

Make sure they always have access to the air at the surface of the tank. They need to breathe this air every few minutes, and will die quickly if they can't get it.

I find bettas to be pretty curious about their surroundings, and I offered them plenty of plants, rocks, caves, etc. to explore. They don't seem to do well in tanks devoid of decor.

Odd what you said about flakes. That was the principal diet of most of the bettas I ever had, and they seemed to do quite well on it. They even bred. But usually I did manage to supplement this staple diet with live food of some sort from time to time. Perhaps it made a difference.

Take care!

Chris

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally found these links for my daughter, but you may find them useful also.

This page loads real slow: Betta Talk

This page loads a lot quicker and show several books with links to Amazon.com where you can purchase them at the bottom of the page: Aquariumfish.net

Edited 10-23-02 @ 12:15am

This one has a list of several common betta diseases with symptoms and treatments: Betta Illnesses
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you treat the water with something like stress coat ? If not you must or the fish will die on you .

Dose the fish look like he is gasping for air at the top ? If so you need filter .

If you tell us what kind of set up you have and how you treat the water that will be a big help .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read up on the bettas and it says they do not need any type of aeration or filterization because they are puddle fish, which means they usually live in really small ponds without hardly any aeration.

They go to the surface every couple of minutes and gulp the air that they need. Though I did not use any type of stress coat, people on a betta forum said that it is not absolutley necessary, but I may go to the store and purchase some tomorrow. I have my betta in a small fish bowl (about one gallon) I have had it for about a week now and he seems to be doing ok.

I had originally put him in distilled water thinking that this would be good for him. Well I guess it is really bad for them, it takes all the minerals and such right out of the fish. So after I heard that I immediatley replaced the water with tap water.

He seems to be eating well, and he is looking very healthy and colorful. Thanks for all the tips and links that everyone provided, they were a big help [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

TAP water ? Thats the worst thing for the fish the stuff that they put in your tap water will burn the fishs gills and kill your fish . [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] You must use water that has been treated or your fish will die fast. Rember Tap water has CHLORINE that will make your fish die a very painfull death.

Who ever told you not to treat the water its not a must is VERY VERY wrong . I have had fish for 15 years. You cant even use untreated tap water in a big pond like mine because it will kill the gold fish .

Put him or her back in the distilled water as soon as you can till you buy stress coat . Any thing is better then useing tap water your fish wont live more then a week in it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast