What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scorpions and Tarantulas

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby
Anybody keeping Scorpions or Tarantulas? I love these guys.
Terrariums are great, I've kept many spiders in it also, oh and a baby possum too!

I caught a tarantula about a year ago, but it didn't eat and My mom wouldn't let me let it go(of course lol), so It died
sad.gif

I have 2 wild caught scorpions from Santa Cruz, CA. Im still not sure about the species though. I keep them in a set up like this:

5 gallon tank
soil mixed with orchid bark as bedding
a few rocks for hiding

They are tiny (about 2 icnhes long each) so the tank is small. They dont seem to fight, so i keep them together.

They eat medium sized crickets

I caught the tarantula on the other side of monterey bay, not the santa cruz side.

P.S. where in Santa Cruz did you get the scorpions? I would like to see them in the wild.
biggrin.gif

Thanks
Spectabilis73
smile.gif

Zach,
It could possibly be Uroctonus mordax.  Not too many other scorpions up there in that area.
u_mordax1.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ Sep. 28 2002,01:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Zach,
It could possibly be Uroctonus mordax.  Not too many other scorpions up there in that area.
u_mordax1.jpg
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nice pic!
biggrin.gif

I've got a couple of adult Chilean Rose-hair Tarantulas and a smaller (hehe) Brazilian Salmon Birdeater - it's only about three inches in diameter now, but will get to be the size of a dinner plate. I can't wait!

I have a Chilean Rose. She's my first Tarantula, and boy is she big! And cute!
biggrin.gif

cephalotus, what you have is most likely Uroctonus mordax, but it could be paruroctonus silvestrii, or a species of pseudoroctonus. there is a species of paruroctonus from monteray that lives on the coastal sand dunes that is very endangered. if you get caught scorpion collecting there, you'll get in deep dung!

I was Given a little baby Black Emperor scorpion on monday (Pandinus imperator). It is such a beautiful little thing, Glossy black with a pure white sting. I named it Dax!
biggrin.gif

Scorpion.1

Scorpion.2

Scorpion.in.tank

Scorpion.tank.1

Scorpion.tank.2

I also got my first sting of it as well wednesday when I was checking the temperature of the soil in the tank. It got me on the back of my hand. Not too painful but I dont like to even think what it will be like when it is mature!
wow.gif

Richard,
That little guy is so cute!
biggrin.gif

How painful was the sting? Adult emperors rarely sting, but they do pinch!
wow.gif

Give the little guy lots of heat and humidity. Baby emperor casualties are rather high. They usually die when molting. If its not humid enough and their outer shell doesn't become soft, they won't be able to fully "shed". Then well, you can figure out what happens next
sad.gif

Hi Larry,
the sting wasn't too bad. less painful than a nettle sting but suprising for its size!
Fortunatly I did a lot of research before I got it. The tank is heated with a small underhground heater to the left of the tank and a larger heater wich goes on the rear of the tank wall. The temperature is between 27-35*c. I spray the substrate daily so it is always humid. I have heard about the moulting problem. This does worry me as it is such a beautiful little creature, all I can do is hope for the best. From what I can tell my setup is correct. It is warm enough and plenty humid enough. I'll just have to wait and see.

Hey Guys,

Sorry I wasnt checking back here lol...

the picture....thats it! thats how mine look like. I caught them while attending a Burmese/Chinese festival up in Bolder Creek. I was searching for California Mt. Kingsnakes though to no luck
sad.gif

Thanks for the great post and information-Zach

Hey Zach,
If you ever get anymore more of these U. mordax, I'd be interested. I've always wanted to be able to keep scorpions outdoors in a terrarium with no heat. Since these guys are sometimes found in snow, heat shouldn't be a problem
smile.gif

Larry,

As long as you have CA hunting/fishing license, i will be happy to find you one (you need a license to keep wild collected animals). I wont be going up there till next year, but I will remeber to keep an eye out. Thanks-Zach

Back