What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

I have a Southern Lepord frog that has taken up residence in my small greenhouse. I just went out to check the greenhouse and I found him trying to get out of a bucket. He is alive but he looks a lot thinner than he has in the past. He was not in any hurry to get away from me either. I placed him in a shallow container with damp aquatic potting soil, it looks like kitty litter. I put some damp spangham moss over him. I am getting ready to leave for several days and wonder if there was anything else I could do for him. Oh, I also put in some sow bugs in the container so he has something to eat. Here is a photo I took in October. I am wondering if he is blind in one eye because his left eye does not have a distinct pupil.

frog.jpg

Yes, i can see the cloudy eye clearly...hmmm...the mix you placed him in, you said it was like kitty litter. I am thinking that could be the problem. Litter tends to be grainular, so the mix could have gotten in his eye and irritated it. I would switch to a soil/substrate of Bed-A-Beast (a substrate in a form of a brick; when mixed with warm water, the brick will fluff up and make a peat like substrate). Also, a diet of sow bugs alone isnt really that nutrious; try some crickets dusted with Miner-All Indoor, or "field plankton"-various wild caught insects with no insecticides. If the problem keeps up, contact a hep vet. Hope this helps-Zach

He is not a pet. I just placed him in the mix I described because he looked exahusted from trying to get out of the bucket. He has been staying in pots in my green house. I will buy some crickets when I get back home and let them loose in the greenhouse. I have closed the greenhouse door for the winter. Should I move him outside to my bog or leave him where he is. It only stays about 15 degrees warmer at night than outside, I don't heat the greenhouse. It gets in the 80's at least during the day. I am not sure if they need a hibernation period or not.

Well, its getting close to the time when temperate herps go sleeep for the winter, so if i was you, i would let him out, but like you said, its only about 15F warmer, so im not really sure anymore
smile.gif
. It really depends on how you take it. By releasing it outdoors, you might not see him anymore (wandered off, etc). Good luck-Zach

well, pillbugs taste nasty so I do not know if he would like those, but it is to late now anyways. I know plenty of frogs that live in greenhouses. As to his eye, I think you are correct in that he is blind, this may explain why he did not activly run from you. He is lucky to have the shelter of the greenhouse... or rather she from the looks of it's structure. Unfortunetly, chemicals in out environment have injerd many a frog and this sort of cateract-like eye is not uncommon.

...I've also seen some with the puple shape radically changed in one or both eyes.

hello,
If he-she is blind, I would not put him ouside. He would most likely die or get eaten in just a couple of days.(he would not be able to see predators)
just my 2 cents
smile.gif

Well he is hidding agin, so I have not let him out. I placed several containers filled with bed a beast in the greenhouse so he will have some extra places to hide. I have also purchased some live crikets and let them loose in the greenhouse. All of the water containers have board in them so he can get out if he goes in them. Any other sugestions will be wellcome

Back