Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garter snake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kids and I caught a Garter snake by my beehives, and I let them bring it home for a while. I didn't know they were viviporous, and she gave birth to several babies of which this is one. Then we turned it back loose right where we found it.

[img]http://[/img][img]http://home.**********.com/tvaughan/ariannagartersnake.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh wow, are you sure that's a regular garter snake? look at the red bands! it could be the very, very rare and endangered san fransisco garter snake!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that would be an eye opener and no mistake!! My experience with Garter snakes is that the variability is tremendous in every brood, but if you think it's endangered, send the photo off, and we'll give it to a zoo or whatever.

I like them because I think they're pretty, and they eat mice, which are hard on my bees in the winter.

Regards
    Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of garters with red sides. Some are like you said Spec, SF garters, but there are some like the red sided garters and even some ribbon snakes have red banding/coloration. SF have more of a bluish color to it, with a flaky red.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they eat mice? Wow Im impressed I didnt think they got big enough for that.
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

What state are you in, can you give me a more detailed picture? At the very least, I'll be able to tell you if it is a ribbon or a garter.

...Yes, garter snakes will eat mice if trained too, but in the wild they usually prefer large insects, worms and amphibians.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Tim, you're from the central coast, CA, so i guess it would have to be ethier a Santa cruz garter or a red sided (could be a few more).
    Yea, garters do eat mice, if they the prey is the right side. Some will eat pinkies/fuzzies without hesitation, but a few migth have to be 'tricked' into eating those. in captive conditions, one might train garters to eat moistened aquatic turtle food (as stated in a past "Vivarium" issue-'Red Flamed Garters&#39[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]. I would stick to an alternating diet of live fish and small feeder mice.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't the West Coast have the red-spotted garter snake? We have red-sided in Nebraska, and that is not the same(that looks prettier IMO), and that certainly is not a SF garter snakes.

Regards,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast