User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size of terrarium should I get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the $150.00 pricetag was a 55 gallon aquarium [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal experience concerning the "Wal-Mart style" 10 gallon setup:

I would imagine this is a standard ten gallon aquarium with a plastic frame screen top that has built in "latches" of some sort. Exercise extreme caution with this combination! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] Many smaller snakes, such as garter snakes and small corn snakes, kingsnakes, milksnakes, etc. are prone to escape from these style setups. They will slide up the corner until their head is wedged in the small gap between the lid and the top rim of the tank, then pull the rest of their body up until they are completely wedged in the gap. Then they start cruising the gap until they find a weak spot, where they can push up the snap-down lid far enough to escape. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

I've had lots of people call me when this happens, asking me how they can find their newest family pet once it's out. This is difficult at best, since they normally hide if there is a lot of activity in the vicinity. The best I can suggest is 1) don't let them get out; get a setup that is escape proof (sliding LOCKING lids work best), and 2) once they've escaped, give up on finding them; that's usually when they "resurface!"
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the protective slide in screen covers sold like in petsmart, petco, etc. My mexican milksnake escaped from a tank with a "normal" top covering. He is yet to be found, but i have hope [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my advice for all animals that live inside of something , give them an enviroment that is 3 times it's length , if any smaller it will affect it's growth .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sister and I have had several pets escape [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] one time,my iguana escaped and I woke up to the scream of my mom when she looked over the bed and saw him!lol.I caught him and a couple months later he escaped again! my sister who worked at a pet store made a trap using cardboard! and it worked! and several times her snake escaped one time we found it under a rug a month later! and one time under her bed i think! so don't give up looking for a lost pet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warning everyone. The screen rests in a recessed lip in the plastic trim around the top of the terrarium and latches in the four corners. So the weakest point will be towards the center of the long sides. So far he/she hasn't figured out how to get wedged up between the trim and the screen and force a way out.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please let the snake go. You'll only hurt it in captivity. If you must keep it please get reptile supliments for it so it isn't suffering from mineral and vitamin defficeny. I can't stress enough how importent it is to let wild things be wild. Would you steel a wild VFT from it's native home? If you want a pet snake, their are many tame beautiful colors of corn snakes for sail in pet shops. As for size of terrarium, a snake at MINIMUM needs a tank 1.5X it's body length.

-Darcie
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (goldtrap2690 @ Sep. 30 2002,01:16)
    my advice for all animals that live inside of something , give them an enviroment that is 3 times it's length , if any smaller it will affect it's growth .[/QUOTE]
    *claps

I feel the same way, but I do 3X the min. So like since the min for snakes is usualy 1.5x their length I personally would give 7X the length, wich of corse can be impossible so I tend to be a believer in bedrooms for lizards and dayly outings for snakes. I did a very bad thing as a child. I took an eastern garter from the wild and took care of it for a month befor letting it go. I did however let her run loose for a few hours on the back porch each day (wich was a big deal cause I didn't want to tame it do she would attack anyone comethrough, lol)
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12