What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiled anoles

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks to all the flies and other flyng insects I've caught for my anoles, now that's all they're eat. Since the flying insects are not as abundant as they were earlier this summer, I bought some meal worms and crickets. They don't seem to want to eat anything that doesn't fly. Anybody have any ideas on what I should do?

Hello,
I would just ahve them continue eating what they will only eat, flies and such. No point in trying to force feed them crickets if they wont eat them. Good luck,
Kevin

That's the problem, I can't find as many flies as I have been finding. I don't think I can find enough to feed them, so I have to find something else for them. I have plenty of guppies, do you think they will eat them?

Hello,
You can go to a petstore and see if they hsve fruit flies? But, well.....um, try to get them to eat crickets. Like, let a bunch go in their cage and see what happens? Or place them in smaller container, and put in a few crickets. Hope it helps.
kevin

Fruitflies will be too small for anoles. And having too many crickets available for them might be stressful for them. Just put 1 or 2 crickets in, and because flies aren't becoming abudent keep using the flies you find, and your crickets. And slowly, when they start eating the crickets, I recommend keeping them on the cricket until they become abudent. If that fails, I saw a method a year or two ago, with strings attach to the cricket, but I forgot the site. But when the anoles become really hungry they will have to eat crickets when there are no flies, just watch their eating behavior so they won't starve.

I can sit in my backyard looking at my CPs and see at least six anoles at any given time. Some males are climbing around showing off to potential mates and all of the others are ambushing unsuspecting prey. They and the Geckos will eat anything alive that isn't bigger than them...but nothing dead.
smile.gif

I have had this probelm with a bearded dragon that wouldn't eat anything but mealworms. (this can apply to anoles as well, as when i was a beginner herper, i had a few spoiled anoles).

I "starved" them for about 2-3 days, with nothing but water. After that time period, try cathing just 1 fly. Rip its win so that it can still buzz around, but not fly. Place it in a cup with some crickets or mealworms. The sight of a fimiliar fly may trigger a feeding response. Good luck-Zach

If zach's idea doesn't work I know of 2 distributors that sell houseflies cheaply

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try some of them and see if they work.

Just in case, Slizarus where do you buy flies?

Back