What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worlds larges snake ever caught!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date
Plant a kiss, Snake are basically 2 things, muscle and bones. What makes the snake moves is that it expands and contracts its muscles a certain way to move. It can move just as fast a small snake can because, it doesn't reall gain fat but muscle. So instead of being fat and grumpy like some humans are, it is a constant "weight lifter" always trying to ad muscle. A snake of that size would have no problem taking an animal out. Also snake are sorta like lions; they sneek up on the prey until it is in striking distance, then it attaks so quickly that the prey doesn't catch on to what's going on until it is to late. Even if did escape, the snake could probably out run it anyway and kill it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the cultural info! The only snake "cult" I know of off hand is/was the Naga headhunters of India so I thought this was BS.

It's a bit depressing to think that even these days invented prejudicies towards the people from far off places would make it all the way to the morning news.

an anaconda has eaten a man in malaysia before

If I recall correctly, Anacondas occur naturally only along the Amazon River in S. America.

Beat me to it Josh, I was going to ask what it was doing in Malaysia?
You do recall correctly, Anaconda are a South American snake, don't get them in Asia except in zoo's.

Wes,
Ever seens a really big snake? They're no where near as quick as small ones. They become ambush hunters. They may be strong, but not fast.

I would like to make a correction to my post.  The Brazlian snake that has been nick named "bull killer" is an Anaconda not a Python.  After seeing the photo I had Python on the brain. I have seen many Boas in Central and South America but only one Anaconda in the wild.
Here is a very interesting web site about big snakes.

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/gi....te=http

And a quote from it; "The largest-known snake in the world is the Anaconda, or Eunectes murinus, of South America. It holds the world's record for size with one specimen, encountered by petroleum geologist in eastern Columbia in the 1944, measuring 37 1/2 feet in length. Somewhere deep in the southern swamps do they grow bigger? According to Colonel Percy H. Fawcett, a former British Army officer, surveyor and adventurer in the early 1900's, they do: The Anaconda is also foot per foot a much bigger snake than the Python, being both heavier and wider in girth. This is probably because the anaconda, a water snake, does not have to be concerned about getting its body up a tree like the python does. For these reasons the museum reports the anaconda as the largest snake, though on the average some Pythons grow longer."
rock.gif

I guess it depends on who you listen to....

From the Guinness Book of Records:

Longest Snake
The reticulated python (Python reticulates) of southeast Asia, Indonesia, and the Philippines regularly exceeds 6.25 m (20 ft 6 in). The record length is 10 m (32 ft 9.5 in), for a specimen shot in Celebes, Indonesia, in 1912.

Heaviest Living Snake
The heaviest living snake is a Burmese Python weighing 182.76 kg (403 lb.) It is 21 years old, 8.23-m (27 ft) long, and has a girth of 71.12 cm (28 in) Known as "Baby", she lives at the Serpent Safari Park in Gurnee, Illinois, USA.

Cheers, Troy.

Anacondas and retics go head to head very often in record breaking stories. In most cases, anacondas are considered "larger" due to girth and weight. Retics tend to be longer; both snakes are nippy and somewhat aggressive, even babies lol (I got tagged by one in EastBay Vivarium lol).

I guess most of you heard the news about the retic right? On cryptozoology.com, they have a message/link about the snake being measured to about 21feet long.

The big retic measured to only 21 ft, or am I misreading something.
BTW, the picture of the man cut out of a snake was supposedly a hoax(I think I remember seeing it on snopes).
So a pig farmer has the best chance to raise a retic to largest size under containment, eh? I can't imagine who else could afford to feed it.

Joe

I'd have to see it put up to some sort of measurement..or at least noted by a respectable Zoologist before believing it....but that is still an impressive snake regardlesss of it's true size

Back