User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worlds larges snake ever caught!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat me to it Josh, I was going to ask what it was doing in Malaysia?
    You do recall correctly, Anaconda are a South American snake, don't get them in Asia except in zoo's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wes,
    Ever seens a really big snake? They're no where near as quick as small ones. They become ambush hunters. They may be strong, but not fast.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to make a correction to my post. The Brazlian snake that has been nick named "bull killer" is an Anaconda not a Python. After seeing the photo I had Python on the brain. I have seen many Boas in Central and South America but only one Anaconda in the wild.
    Here is a very interesting web site about big snakes.

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/gi....te=http

And a quote from it; "The largest-known snake in the world is the Anaconda, or Eunectes murinus, of South America. It holds the world's record for size with one specimen, encountered by petroleum geologist in eastern Columbia in the 1944, measuring 37 1/2 feet in length. Somewhere deep in the southern swamps do they grow bigger? According to Colonel Percy H. Fawcett, a former British Army officer, surveyor and adventurer in the early 1900's, they do: The Anaconda is also foot per foot a much bigger snake than the Python, being both heavier and wider in girth. This is probably because the anaconda, a water snake, does not have to be concerned about getting its body up a tree like the python does. For these reasons the museum reports the anaconda as the largest snake, though on the average some Pythons grow longer." [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on who you listen to....

From the Guinness Book of Records:

Longest Snake
    The reticulated python (Python reticulates) of southeast Asia, Indonesia, and the Philippines regularly exceeds 6.25 m (20 ft 6 in). The record length is 10 m (32 ft 9.5 in), for a specimen shot in Celebes, Indonesia, in 1912.

Heaviest Living Snake
    The heaviest living snake is a Burmese Python weighing 182.76 kg (403 lb.) It is 21 years old, 8.23-m (27 ft) long, and has a girth of 71.12 cm (28 in) Known as "Baby", she lives at the Serpent Safari Park in Gurnee, Illinois, USA.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anacondas and retics go head to head very often in record breaking stories. In most cases, anacondas are considered "larger" due to girth and weight. Retics tend to be longer; both snakes are nippy and somewhat aggressive, even babies lol (I got tagged by one in EastBay Vivarium lol).
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess most of you heard the news about the retic right? On cryptozoology.com, they have a message/link about the snake being measured to about 21feet long.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big retic measured to only 21 ft, or am I misreading something.
    BTW, the picture of the man cut out of a snake was supposedly a hoax(I think I remember seeing it on snopes).
    So a pig farmer has the best chance to raise a retic to largest size under containment, eh? I can't imagine who else could afford to feed it.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to see it put up to some sort of measurement..or at least noted by a respectable Zoologist before believing it....but that is still an impressive snake regardlesss of it's true size
    2.0 Burmese Python
    0.0.1 Sandfish
    2.4.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1.13 Beardies
    0.2 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings
    -Wish list-
    Candoia SP.
    Frilled Dragon
    C.Quadricornis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234