What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gecko ID

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
This little girl followed me home. I spend a couple of minutes chasing her around my walls.

Anyway, can someone help me verify the id of this gecko? She is between 7-8 inches in length, including the head and tail.

gecko.jpg

PS. I think its a female anyway.

Wow, thats a toughy!
smile.gif
, where do you live? It looks like a Hemidactlyus species (house gecko, etc.) but it all depends on where you live.

You must live in South Florida. It looks exactly like the ones that inhabit my house. I have at least ten living in my garage, laundry room and kitchen. Not a bug left in the house and the ant problem in my kitchen is no more.

Well, from looking at my post, it appears that I deleted some important information during an edit.

This gecko was purchased from a store. It was basically labled "Gecko". The reason I was chasing her around my walls was that she got out of the box she was in and headed for the highest part of the room. She can really move fast.

New info:

Something I have noticed during the night... she is not really active and turns pale. Not sure if this is due to improper night temps or just something they do to blend in.

She eats 2-3 crickets a day, they are dusted in a calcium/vitimin supliment. She seems to be happy but this is my first gecko.

I thought I would toss this one in as well. Any idea what species?

gecko2darksm.jpg

This one is larger in size overall. It has a much thicker head and appears to be a male.

Yea, it looks pretty much like a common house gecko (there are numerous species, so kinda hard to get exact ID). Many arboreal lizards turn lighter at night when temp drops or when trying to hide, what are the temps? Research and find out which temps are best for the gecko. House geckos can eat numerous crickets, maybe it will be good to up to about 4-5 crickets dusted. The good thing with nocturnal geckos is that they require no UV lighting.

From looking at some photos on the web, I believe the first one is Gekko grossmanni or Marble Gecko. I am still not sure of the second.

The first gecko (the marble one) was purchased on 2/1/04 and has been fed just about everyday since. The crickets have been dusted every other feeding. Since the second gecko was purchased, 2/4/04, the number of crickets has been doubled. I have only seen the marble gecko eat, but I am sure the other one is eating as well.

The temps are 72°F on the cool side and up to 85°F on the warm side. There is a UTH that the second larger gecko seems to enjoy the most. The marble gecko likes to stay on the side of the glass near the top of the enclosure.

I have a 60watt full spectrum bulb sitting over the warm end. The second larger gecko seems to hide all the time. Although I have seen it out and about for a few minutes.

I do wish I had bought these earlier. The female had layed eggs the day before I purchased her. Would have been interesting to see those hatch. I might be able to buy them from the shop. I guess I could check up on that. Hmm...

I have now gotten an ID on the second gecko, its a Golden Gecko. This information was obtained by speaking with the store manager. They now have a sign up with the id.

Back